This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

java mysteries

I'm very new to Linux and Gutsy, coming from WinXP. I'm trying to install Netbeans, to get the Ruby IDE. I installed Sun Java 6 via the KMenu's Add/Remove Programs. I installed Netbeans 5.5 from the Adept package manager. It promptly disappeared. No indication of it on the KMenu. I don't understand this behavior. Where in the world do I go looking for it?

Giving up on that, I downloaded Netbeans 6.0 from Sun, and tried to install THAT. It couldn't find the java JDK, whatever that is (I assume its the virtual machine). Well, I can't either. If Sun's own program can't find it, how it is I'm supposed to know where it is?

I've spent 14 straight hours today trying to recover two key programs which mysteriously stopped working earlier today - jEdit and Aptana Studio. They too are java programs. A bad day for java, it appears. I'm pursuing the jEdit and Aptana problems separately elsewhere. Can anyone suggest how to get Netbeans running - either one, but preferably 6.0...

Re: java mysteries

It's version 5.5 but ....

Install Netbeans 5.5 in Kubuntu It has pictures of the process as well.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Well, guardian angel Paul, I have a success to report. Reading into that loooong document to which you referred me, I noted that it was installing the older Netbeans - it's 6, not 5.5, which has the Ruby support I'm after. (I was hoping to be able to upgrade from within 5.5, if I could just get it installed). THEN I saw that it first installed the java JDK. THAT was what Netbeans 6 couldn't find - and I suddenly thought that perhaps Adept hadn't installed it (!). So, I did the first part of the install in the article - leaving off Netbeans 5.5.

Then I installed Netbeans 6 from the module I'd separately downloaded from Sun. It flew. I now have Netbeans 6 up, and I just installed the Ruby plugin. Life is good. After a little sleep, I can expect to push ahead with my program, which I need for better managing of a website which is part of how I make a living (as a psychotherapist, if you can believe it - now you know why I'm stumbling a bit in this tech world).

I thank you for giving me information I didn't have and surely wouldn't have found, which led to my getting some functionality back. Really cool. (And tomorrow...jEdit, which I can't live without).

There....doesn't that feel good? Yeah.

Nite.

t.

Comment

That really makes my first day of 2008!

I am really happy that you are a good ways toward having made a 'full recovery.' Even the doctor, on occasion, can benefit from the conversations with a stranger.

If you have the time, would you report back on your diagnosis of the ailment you found yourself suffering from, the treatment regimen that worked, and the long term prognosis of the patient? (Hey, I think I'm becoming a cyber-doc! )

Paul

Comment

Report back? Sure - great idea.

I don't yet have a working jEdit install, but I have request for help sitting in the jEdit forum devoted to installation issues, and I'm hopeful (!).

I think there may be issued with what java virtual machine I have installed. I have another java program I use complaining, thought it runs. Evidently there is an open source jvm, and then there is Sun's, and the two aren't precisely equivalent. Another possibly related issue to chase.

Thanks again for the help, and I'll report back - possibly even try to get something into the wiki. I think newbies can often be very good at hole plugging in such community documentation efforts.

Comment

Originally posted by tomcloyd
            Evidently there is an open source jvm, and then there is Sun's, and the two aren't precisely equivalent. Another possibly related issue to chase.
            If I recall correctly, there are at least three(!) Java environments available - GNU, Blackdown and Sun. Take your pick, but I'd go for Sun's one.

Comment

Ah...again, helpful. I'd seen "Blackdown" in the KDE package database, but didn't know what it was. Am headed over to Wikipedia to study up on java. Tks!!!

Comment

OK - problem solved. I now have all 3 programs running which were crashing: Areca backup, jEdit, and Aptana Studio. I cannot describe my relief. Without these I was not getting much work done.

Areca was fussing about the presence of a Free Software Foundation java VM. I was barely aware of what this was all about, in theory. In the Gnome package manager run by the K-Menu Add/Remove programs item, only Sun java stuff was showing up. I wasn't aware of installing anything from the Free Software Foundation, so I was stumped.

I then thought to do a search of my file system, from within Konqueror, for "java*". In the some 250 hits I got (many were false hits), I saw these executables...

/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.5.0-sun
                /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun
                /usr/lib/jvm/java-1.5.0-grj-4.2-1.5.0-bin/java

Using Adept, I was able to identify the last as from GNU, and recalled that they had something to do with the Free Software Foundation (or ARE them...). I ruthlessly removed all traces of everything related to this thing, and all my problems went away.

I'm not sure what moral to derive from this nightmare, other than the old one of the value of persistence, when you have little else going for you.

It's good to be back in the running for getting my work done, and I thank those individuals who offered bits of help (and in one case - Paul - quite a bit more than that). All those bits fed my persistence, believe me.

Comment

A success story! We LOVE those kind.

And look at it this way. Only three days into using Linux/Kubuntu, you borked a critical (to you) piece of software, and in less than 48 hours, you were able to salvage the mess with persistance and help for the Forum you so wisely became a member of!

Good job!

Comment

You're a good story teller Paul.

Please stay online...for the foreseeable future!

Ah...it's so good to wake up to a Gutsy that is no longer barfing up on me. It flies, and now so can I. Tks again for the support.

Comment

Working...
                    X