This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Switching between Desktops...

Just yesterday I went and took the plunge installing Kubuntu 7.10 and am still getting used to the WM since I used Ubuntu 7.04 before.

I have a problem now when I switch between desktops. Any program I open in one desktop up shows up in ALL desktops and is very ANNOYING. I don't want the programs showing across all desktops... whats the point? Is there some way to segregate the programs I open in each desktop?

Also when I view my movies folder I can't see the images when I am in preview mode. I went through the options as described when I looked for help in a search engine.

I used to use KDE a long time ago and was using Gnome for a while now. I think I liked using Gnome in Ubuntu better so far but I'll give KDE a chance again.

Thanks,

--George

Re: Switching between Desktops...

Originally posted by kc2keo

Any program I open in one desktop up shows up in ALL desktops and is very ANNOYING.
    Nope -- that's not normal -- matter of fact, I don't think I've ever heard of it! Is this a completely default Kubuntu installation -- did it start with 2 desktops, or 4?

Also when I view my movies folder I can't see the images when I am in preview mode. I went through the options as described when I looked for help in a search engine.
    Are you using Dolphin/D3lphin or Konqueror as a file browser? In 7.10 they sprung Dolphin as the default file browser, and a lot of users including me immediately changed the default back to Konqueror, for many reasons. Probably it (Konqueror) can be set to preview movies -- I dunno about Dolphin.

I just right-clicked an .avi movie file in Konqueror, and chose "Preview With > Embedded MPlayer for KDE" and it started the movie in the preview window. Is that what you're looking for?

Comment

Originally posted by dibl

Any program I open in one desktop up shows up in ALL desktops and is very ANNOYING.
      Nope -- that's not normal -- matter of fact, I don't think I've ever heard of it! Is this a completely default Kubuntu installation -- did it start with 2 desktops, or 4?

Are you using Dolphin/D3lphin or Konqueror as a file browser? In 7.10 they sprung Dolphin as the default file browser, and a lot of users including me immediately changed the default back to Konqueror, for many reasons. Probably it (Konqueror) can be set to preview movies -- I dunno about Dolphin.

I just right-clicked an .avi movie file in Konqueror, and chose "Preview With > Embedded MPlayer for KDE" and it started the movie in the preview window. Is that what you're looking for?

Actually, that is normal and is the default setting for both Kubuntu and KDE itself...

To change, right-click on the kicker, and "Configure Panel" then go to "Taskbar" and uncheck "Show windows from all desktops".

Comment

I installed KUbuntu 7.10 via the alternate install which was text-based. Looked like the debian-installer. Reason was that the normal livecd when booted in the GUI froze up for some reason. I believe it was because I needed to set the right values in my xorg.conf file which I corrected when I booted into KUbuntu after installation. I installed kernel-sources and the headers so I may install the NVIDIA driver from the site. BTW I installed the driver with out the X.Org server running.

I don't know why but when I open one program in Desktop 1 then switch to the others the program shows up in all of them. When I switch to the other desktops (2,3, or 4) the program just shows in the system tray as if it were minimized. Then clicking on it will bring you back to Desktop 1 (or whichever desktop you opened the program in).

I suspect it may be the theme change I made to my system. I only changed the button look and window look to Plastik and also the color and startup theme when you log in. That should not make a difference. I looked at the desktop manager where you can add or reduce the amount of desktops you have but it does not have a option that I see will help me out. Its not a urgent matter for me but is quite annoying. I can deal with it....

I am using the Dolphin/D3lphin file browser. Never heard of that type of browser and don't know why they strayed away from Konqueror (which is what I knew of very well when I used to use KDE). I don't mind Dolphin but I may default to Konqueror. I also installed Nautilus which I grew used to in Gnome. I hope that does not cause issues. If so I will remove it.

I don't want to open the movie in a preview window.

What I want to happen is if I open up the file browser it will show the movie/picture files with a snapshot of the movie on the file. Just like thumbnail view in WinXP. Nautilus did this just fine. However, when I tried it in Nautilus just now it failed to show the images because it complained I needed a divx codec and other codecs to show the thumbnails. And it seemed to wanna use Totem Movie Player to do this. I made sure I installed the codecs in Adept_Installer. I installed all the GStreamer plugins and still no luck. VLCPlayer plays the videos fine.

So, its just those two things that stand out to me like a soar thumb... Desktop changing thing and the file browser thumbnails. I'll keep trying to fix the issue myself.

Thanks for replying,

--George

Comment

Originally posted by jayson.rowe
          Originally posted by dibl

Actually, that is normal and is the default setting for both Kubuntu and KDE itself...

To change, right-click on the kicker, and "Configure Panel" then go to "Taskbar" and uncheck "Show windows from all desktops".

Right you are! Thanks it worked . Its been a while since I tried anything like that but now I got it.

I did the following: alt+f2->kcontrol->Desktop->taskbar->uncheck "Show Windows from all desktops".

I posted that reply before you posted so sorry for any redundant commenting

Comment

Cool deal - glad you got it!

Comment

Working...
            X