X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NVIDIA driver install issue (SOLVED)

Hey all,

So I am trying to get the newest nvidia drivers working and I am following the how-to by Bidl here on the forum. so far all his instructions have worked fine until I get to the following point:

sudo /etc/init.d/kdm stop

When I do this I get some output and then a black screen with a flashing cursor in the top left corner. i am able to type but nothing seems to work.

So I Alt+Cntrl+Del and restart. but now I cannot get back into the gui so I could come here and ask for help, so I am on my windows set up at the moment.

After restarting I treid typing the command "xstart" and it comes back as no such command. i tried it as su and regular user. Where do I go from here please?

Re: NVIDIA driver install issue

The command is startx, I think you will find.
    I wish I was the man my dog thinks I am.<br /><br />Registered Linux User No. 402825

Comment

Originally posted by thr33finger

I get to the following point:

sudo /etc/init.d/kdm stop

When I do this I get some output and then a black screen with a flashing cursor in the top left corner. i am able to type but nothing seems to work.
      Ooops -- it seems my instruction was a little incomplete ...... :P

When that happens, do Alt-F1 and you should have a CLI prompt. Then proceed with the instruction. Sorry.

Comment

lol no prob. thanks for the quick response all. This is tough but hopefully when I finally get everything up and running it will be well worth it

Comment

If all else fails, you might want to download and install the Envy installer, as per:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3086232.0

Comment

Working...
          X