Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can a damaged file extension be repaired so the package will open?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can a damaged file extension be repaired so the package will open?

I have downloaded movies and play them using Kaffeine. Usually, the movie name includes additional information to the name of the movie. I have renamed the movies excluding all that irrelevant information to keep a cleaner file. Several times the name of the movie just has the .avi plus the name. I have not removed the .avi before. This morning, I decided to clean up those films too and renamed them without the extension, .avi. When I finished, none of my movies would play. Is this because I removed the extensions? Can I repair the damage if that is it, because I tried to put the .avi back on the names of the movies and they still won't play. Thanks!

Re: Can a damaged file extension be repaired so the package will open?

How "won't it play"? Does it give an error message? If so, please post it, and we'll be more likely to be able to give you an intelligent response.

Most programs in Linux are extension-independent, so removing the .avi shouldn't really make a difference . . . does Konqueror/Dolphin still identify the files as being videos?

Oh, and try VLC and see if they will play in there. From my experience, VLC is a much more reliable program than Kaffeine, so there's a good chance that might work.

Comment

Re: Can a damaged file extension be repaired so the package will open?

I fixed it without knowing what I did. It was an unusual problem. Movies just ceased to play after I removed a few .avi extensions from the movie names. I was just trying to clean up the look of the file. Anyway, I rebooted the computer and things began to work again. I don't exactly know why, and I did not have any notice of anything actually broken. They just stopped working. I am sorry to have bothered you. Thanks for the attempt to help.

Comment

Working...
      X