Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Audio CD's causing crashes (all of the sudden)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Audio CD's causing crashes (all of the sudden)

I got a set of 3 audio CD's today and have been ripping them using K3B. The first 3 CD's ripped to ogg with no problem, but when I now put in the 3rd one, I click "start ripping" and go to the setting screen and click the its button (that also says "start ripping").

The window pops up that shows progress of the rip and then I get the warning that says another program (kio_audiocd) is using the sound hardware, do I want to re-try, kill the program, or continue?

It doesn't matter whether I choose kill or continue, the system then freezes and the WHOLE SYSTEM CRASHES. Not just X, or Kicker, the whole system (I know it's the whole system because when just the GUI crashes I can usually log into this machine from my Mac).

Point to note: when ripping the previous 2 CD's, the warning showed one copy of kio_audiocd running. However, it now shows 2 copies when I try to rip this CD. HUH?

I've tried the offending disk on my Mac, it reads fine. I then went back and tried one of the previous disks and it caused the same crash, when it read fine just a few hours ago (yes, I've been at this that long...)

Any ideas?

nw98
    I distrust morning people, largely because I suspect them of getting together early one day while the rest of us were asleep and setting up the rules of civilization.

Re: Audio CD's causing crashes (all of the sudden)

Before starting the rip, try executing "killall kio_audiocd".
    Could be that there's something about it kio_audiocd doesn't like, and gets stuck...
    For external use only.

Comment

Re: Audio CD's causing crashes (all of the sudden)

Good idea, and one that (unfortunately) doesn't work.

Still looking for a solution, so if anyone can think of ANYTHING that might cause this, hit me with it, I'll try anything at this point.

Nitewing '98
      I distrust morning people, largely because I suspect them of getting together early one day while the rest of us were asleep and setting up the rules of civilization.

Comment

Working...
      X