This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My strigi died

I have no idea what happen but my strig just died. The only thing I have is a start daemon, but it refuses to start. Anyone has any idea how to fix it. I was getting use to using it and the only thing I can find is people complaining about it and then unistalling and using beagle (yuck).

Re: My strigi died

I expect that someone else will drop in shortly to help you with Strigi, i can't because that was the first thing i un-installed... it's too much of a memory-hog for my liking.
    Beagle i wouldn't touch again with a barge-pole, so i use google desktop search, it is a hog until it's finished the initial indexing, but it is an excellent search-engine.

When you search the web, it tells you if there's anything on your HD that fits the terms.

Retention of you data can be a bit suspect, though.... i'm waiting for Wiki's search to be finished & released.... they aren't going to keep any search data.

I apologise if this isn't too helpful, but....

Comment

I personally don't use any such tools... I know where most anything is, and what I don't can be found with a combination or find, locate and/or grep.
      For external use only.

Comment

locate and grep won;t let me find things on other drives. Like my netwrok drives or ntfs drives so that was an advantage

Comment

Originally posted by tikal26
          locate and grep won;t let me find things on other drives. Like my netwrok drives or ntfs drives so that was an advantage
          If they're mounted when you run updatedb, doesn't it index them?
          I am running Ubuntu 8.10 (yes Gnome) with upgrades applied daily about 0900 UK time. Hardware is Dell Precision 420, 2x 800 MHz PIII, 512 MB RDRAM, nVidia GeForce 6800 128 MB AGP graphics, 18GB SCSI and 500GB IDE HDDs, DVD burner, Hauppage TV card.

Comment

Originally posted by tikal26
            I have no idea what happen but my strig just died. The only thing I have is a start daemon, but it refuses to start. Anyone has any idea how to fix it. I was getting use to using it and the only thing I can find is people complaining about it and then unistalling and using beagle (yuck).
            what if you close strigi, remove settings ($HOME/.strigi/) and try indexing again?

Comment

wth my strigi refuses to search also

Comment

hmm logged out and back in; started strigi (still broken, won't search); closed it; looked into $HOME/.xsession-errors file:
                Code:
                could not create reader /home/kristjan/.strigi/clucene: File does not exist
                /usr/lib/strigi/strigila_namespaceharvester.so
                /usr/lib/strigi/strigita_gif.so
                /usr/lib/strigi/strigila_cpp.so
                /usr/lib/strigi/strigita_pcx.so
                /usr/lib/strigi/strigita_xbm.so
                /usr/lib/strigi/strigila_xpm.so
                /usr/lib/strigi/strigita_au.so
                /usr/lib/strigi/strigila_deb.so
                WARNING: field 'source_code.stats.code_line_count' is not defined in .fieldproperties ontology database.
                WARNING: field 'source_code.stats.comment_line_count' is not defined in .fieldproperties ontology database.
                WARNING: field 'media.sample_format' is not defined in .fieldproperties ontology database.
                WARNING: field 'cursor.hot_spot.x' is not defined in .fieldproperties ontology database.
                WARNING: field 'cursor.hot_spot.y' is not defined in .fieldproperties ontology database.
                WARNING: field 'ole.category' is not defined in .fieldproperties ontology database.
                WARNING: field 'ole.presentationtarget' is not defined in .fieldproperties ontology database.
                WARNING: field 'ole.manager' is not defined in .fieldproperties ontology database.
                WARNING: field 'ole.company' is not defined in .fieldproperties ontology database.
                WARNING: field 'TODO.from' is not defined in .fieldproperties ontology database.
                WARNING: field 'content.warning' is not defined in .fieldproperties ontology database.
                WARNING: field 'photo.camera_model' is not defined in .fieldproperties ontology database.
                WARNING: field 'document.stats.table_count' is not defined in .fieldproperties ontology database.
                WARNING: field 'document.stats.object_count' is not defined in .fieldproperties ontology database.
                WARNING: field 'document.stats.image_count' is not defined in .fieldproperties ontology database.
                WARNING: field 'chemistry.molecule_count' is not defined in .fieldproperties ontology database.
                cannot delete entry: lucene reader cannot be opened
                cannot delete entry: lucene reader cannot be opened
                /home/kristjan/Downloads/kdm-beo.tar.gz/kdm-beo/KdmGreeterTheme.desktop: File does not exist
                -- "kdm-beo.tar.gz" is actually still there, strange ... and so is "kdm-beo/KdmGreeterTheme.desktop" inside it

Comment

Tried purging and reinstalling Strigi?
                  For external use only.

Comment

I already tried that, the problem started when I upgraded and it change the lucerne library to something else, so I guess that must have being it.

Comment

Originally posted by SheeEttin
                      Tried purging and reinstalling Strigi?
                      Code:
                      rm -r .strigi/
                      fixed it (daemon starts, it will index and allow to search)

Comment

... it does not work again
                        same errors:
                        Code:
                        I will give a try with reinstall.

Comment

Originally posted by klerfayt
                          I will give a try with reinstall.
                          ok:
                          Code:
                          sudo apt-get remove --purge libcluceneindex0 libsearchclient0 libstreamanalyzer0 libstreams0 libstrigihtmlgui0 strigi-applet strigi-daemon
                          and then:
                          Code:
                          sudo apt-get install strigi-applet strigi-daemon
                          will result in the same error:
                          Code:
                          - however:
                          closing strigi-applet and then:
                          Code:
                          rm -r .strigi/
                          will allow me to start daemon and indexing and get search results ... until it will stop working at some point?

Comment

Helped for me too even without uninstalling etc.
                            Just renamed the folder .strigi in my user-profile
                            (i.e. with konqueror, show hidden files, rename .strigi to i.e. renamed.strigi)

Comment

Working...
                            X