X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OpenOffice Apps Hijack Computer

Hi,

I'm running 7.10 with Compiz.

Lately, for some strange reason, using ANY openoffice application hijacks my computer.

It:

- takes up my whole screen
    - Window borders disappear
    - Menu bar is unresponsive

the only thing that seems to work is a hard-reboot.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Re: OpenOffice Apps Hijack Computer

Does Ctrl+Alt+Escape work? It should change the cursor into an X or skull-and-crossbones, that then kills whatever you click on.
    How about Ctrl+Alt+F1 to switch to a terminal. If this works, then login (it may be SLOW), and run 'top' to get a process list. See what's using the processor.
    I am running Ubuntu 8.10 (yes Gnome) with upgrades applied daily about 0900 UK time. Hardware is Dell Precision 420, 2x 800 MHz PIII, 512 MB RDRAM, nVidia GeForce 6800 128 MB AGP graphics, 18GB SCSI and 500GB IDE HDDs, DVD burner, Hauppage TV card.

Comment

Do you have Compiz running? I had this issue with Compiz and resolved by changing a Compiz setting.

Comment

Originally posted by drforbin
        the only thing that seems to work is a hard-reboot
        If you mean cut the power (e.g. with the power button or reset button), don't! That's a bad way to shut down a computer.
        Instead, press Alt-SysRq-R, then -E -I -S -U -B, with five to ten seconds between each press.
        For external use only.

Comment

None of the above keystrokes work...

Basically, Presentation and Spreadsheet maximize and the window bars disappear. Menu bar (File, Edit, etc.) are unresponsive. NOTHING seems to kill it... Feels no pain... can't be reasoned with... That sort of thing...

Comment

To narrow the problem down, try replacing compiz with the standard window manager kwin (run 'kwin --replace' to start kwin...you can start compiz again with 'compiz --replace' when you're done).

Check whether OO apps freeze while using kwin, if they don't it's definitely a compiz issue (narrowing the problem down will probably help in solving it)

Comment

I had this same problem with Feisty and someone gave a solution... that I don't remember. But I'm also having the exact same problem with OOo myself now.

So when I want to use OOo I'm using Alf-F2 and then
              Code:
              kwin --replace
              I'm looking for the solution myself.. so if I find it I'll post.

Kev

Comment

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ub...er/128355.html

I'm not on my Linux machine so I can't test it now but this might offer some vague help.

Kev

Comment

It's a known problem with Compiz and OpenOffice. The solution is to uncheck a particular setting in ccsm which I think is "Legacy Fullscreen Support" - I can confirm this evening when I get back to my laptop.

Comment

Thanks JamesM. I had the same problem and indeed disabling Legacy Full Screen Support (in Workarounds in the compiz settings manager) solved this for me.

Comment

Working...
                    X