Code:
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure kdm-kde4
    2) Remove old packages:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get remove kdelibs5
    and
    Code:
    sudo apt-get autoremove
    3) Add deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/kubuntu-members-kde4/ubuntu gutsy main to sources.

4) Install kdebase-workspace kdebase-kde4 kdebase-runtime (+ lot of other kde4 packages)

5) Log out, choose kde4 session, log in....

NOTE

Here KDE 4 rc2 installation is messing KDE 3.5.8 menus and file associations. So "Application Preference Order" for .txt-files is now KWrite KDE 4, Kate, KWrite. And in the K Menus:
    Attached Files
    Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
    2. Thread: Lost Information

Re: KDE4 rc2

Hello,

I just tried to install kde4rc2 according to the instructions here:
    http://kubuntu.org/announcements/kde4-rc2.php

I didn't have Rc1 installed. when I try and login to kde4 the screen goes black and returns to the login screen.

Could you help on this?

Thank you

Comment

Here KDE4 beta4 and rc1:

In the first time i needed to run KDE4 in the xephyr window. Full session didn't fire up before i had run xephyr-session once.
      More at:
      Re: KDE 4 RC1...w00t
      http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...1681#msg101681

It seems that full session dies before it can make KDE4 folder. KDE4 folder is almost empty. (Here) First Xephyr session and then full session.

Comment

Thank you rog. That did it.

Comment

Originally posted by Rog131
          NOTE
          Here KDE 4 rc2 installation is messing KDE 3.5.8 menus and file associations. So "Application Preference Order" for .txt-files is now KWrite KDE 4, Kate, KWrite. And in the K Menus:
          I assume the kmenu items are there by design, so that one can run/test kde4 apps in a kde3 session easily...does add a bit of clutter though. Not so sure about application preference, that seems like a 'bug'.

From http://kubuntu.org/announcements/kde4-rc2.php:
          KDE 4 apps should appear in your KDE 3 K-menu or you can run a full session by selecting "KDE 4" from your login manager.

Comment

I assume the kmenu items are there by design, so that one can run/test kde4 apps in a kde3 session easily...does add a bit of clutter though. Not so sure about application preference, that seems like a 'bug'.
            Yes, Dolphin KDE 4 is trying to start with (in the KDE3.5.8 ) dolphin %i -caption "%c"-kde4. I think, that it should be dolphin-kde4 %i -caption "%c"

Hmm :
            okular %U %i -caption "%c"-kde4 -> okular-kde4 %U %i -caption "%c"
            gwenview %u -caption "%c" %i-kde4 -> gwenview-kde4 %u -caption "%c" %i
            kget -caption "%c" %i-kde4 -> kget-kde4 -caption "%c" %i
            systemsettings -caption "%c" %i-kde4 -> systemsettings-kde4 -caption "%c" %i

Links:
            KDE 4: some reasons for design decisions
            http://liquidat.wordpress.com/2007/1...ign-decisions/

Lancelot
            http://ivan.fomentgroup.org/blog/200...elot-revealed/

Cleaning (all KDE 4 apps in the same submenu):
            Attached Files

Comment

I can't get KDE4 to start up. I get the following message:

Code:
              Could not start kstartupconfig4. Check your installation.

I've been searching around for some indication what the error is with no luck yet.

kstartupconfig is in /usr/bin, but I'm not finding kstartupconfig4 for KDE4.

thanks,
              -travlr

Comment

I cannot install it at all. I have removed my RC 1 completely. There are a lot of conflicts.

Comment

Originally posted by travlr

I've been searching around for some indication what the error is with no luck yet.

thanks,
                  -travlr
                  kstartupconfig4 is in /usr/lib/kde4/bin. I have the same error. If I try to start KDE4 from a Xephyr session, you can see the error output in the xterm:
                  Code:
                  /usr/lib/kde4/bin/startkde: line 80: 18032 Bus error (core dumped) kstartupconfig4
                  Very helpful. :P

Comment

One more thing

I also can't get KDM installed from the KDE4 PPA repository. It always craps out during the configuration.

Code:
                    Setting up kdm (4:3.5.8-2ubuntu3~gutsy1~ppa1) ...
                    dpkg: error processing kdm (--configure):
                     subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 1
                    I've tried uninstalling, reinstalling, fixing, blah blah blah.

And now when I try to remove the KDE4 specific stuff, Kubuntu wants to pull half of KDE3 out with it. Hooray!

Comment

Originally posted by EdCates
                      Originally posted by travlr

thanks,
                      -travlr
                      kstartupconfig4 is in /usr/lib/kde4/bin. I have the same error. If I try to start KDE4 from a Xephyr session, you can see the error output in the xterm:
                      Code:
                      /usr/lib/kde4/bin/startkde: line 80: 18032 Bus error (core dumped) kstartupconfig4
                      Very helpful. :P
                      Yeah I found it there too, but having /usr/lib/kde4/bin on my PATH did not help until I put a link to /usr/lib/kde4/bin/kstartupconfig4 in /usr/bin. Now I can load the kde3 desktop in xephyr, but still not kde4. Or kde4 from the kdm login where I get the old error even though I included the required ENV VARS in the kde4.desktop file

Now also, I still can't launch any kde4 apps. If I run an app through the shell, like:
                      Code:
                      travlr@oxbo:~$ cd /usr/lib/kde4/bin
                      travlr@oxbo:/usr/lib/kde4/bin$ ./konqueror
                      I get the following symbol lookup error:
                      Code:
                      ./konqueror: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libQtDBus.so.4: undefined symbol: _ZN14QObjectPrivate15checkWindowRoleEv
                      Anybody having any success resolving these issues?

-travlr

Comment

Okay. I finally paid attention to the apt-get output, and noticed that it was (and has been for quite a while) complaining about some of my Qt4 libs being "stubs." I fired up Adept, searched for everything with "qt" in the name, and reinstalled everything that was already installed. KDE4 works now!

Now if I could just figure out how to get plasmoids onto the panel . . . . .

Comment

Originally posted by EdCates
                          Okay. I finally paid attention to the apt-get output, and noticed that it was (and has been for quite a while) complaining about some of my Qt4 libs being "stubs." I fired up Adept, searched for everything with "qt" in the name, and reinstalled everything that was already installed. KDE4 works now!

Now if I could just figure out how to get plasmoids onto the panel . . . . .
                          Well I tried this with some skepticism, and no luck. Anybody else have suggestions so I don't have to consider building everything from source.

thanks,
                          -travlr

Comment

KDE4 RC2 is working well on my trusty HP nx6110.

There are just 2 questions I have:

1) How can I configure the monitor? In systemsettings-KDE3 there was the module "Display" under "Hardware". In systemsettings-KDE4 I can't find anything similar. Could it be that the module has not been ported yet or am I just blind?

2) KDE4 does not recognize the stat of my battery. The applet awaly shows "No Battery", no mattter if the laptop it's plugged in or running on batteries only. Does anyone know how I could get further information on what's wrong? Also, where does one report bugs for KDE4? Lauchpad?

Comment

I have it running nicely and am getting to like the overall look and feel. Most of the kde4 apps don't start )konquerorkde4, kpimkde4, korganizer, kopetekde4, etc) but that is not crucial at the moment.
                              It seems very fast compared to kde3 FF and TB start up quickly and moving windows around is nice and clean.

How can I configure the monitor? In systemsettings-KDE3 there was the module "Display" under "Hardware". In systemsettings-KDE4 I can't find anything similar. Could it be that the module has not been ported yet or am I just blind?
                              No you are not blind. It is simply missing along with a few other things.

Looks like a lot of fun for the future
                              HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
                              4 GB Ram
                              Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Working...
                              X