This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDE4 RC1 - working, but not pretty

OK, so I got KDE4 RC1 installed on my pc (after a long battle with adept and dpkg) by following the instructions verbatim on the Kubuntu.org website.

I can even log into KDE4, but when I reach the desktop, all I see is some strangeness in the upper right hand corner, a background, and a kicker panel with nothing in it except a clock.

I finally managed to add a widget that had the application launcher in it, but it appeared as a plasmoid on the desktop, in the very dead center, and it was immovable. So, I was able to barely manage to do some things like launch a browser and start amarok...barely.

The strangeness in the upper right corner turned out to be some sort of tool that allows one to add more widgets to the desktop, but it doesn't seem to work for me. I'm still not quite certain how I got the application launcher widget up there.

The display resolution apparently wasn't automagically detected (although KDE3 had no problem with it after some minor tweaking). In addition, after 5 minutes of searching for the System Settings tool (because the application launcher menu was cut off at the top of the screen, and again, immovable), I was able to adjust some minor settings, like the sizes of the on-screen fonts. However, I was still not able to adjust any display resolutions, or configure my video hardware to make it work better.

The kicker panel was useless. It was there. Right-clicking, Left-clicking, Double-clicking, spitting, cursing, kicking, and shooting with a pistol all had no effect. It was like the lazy kid in the back of the class that's always stoned. He's there, but completely useless. And again, immovable.

And as far as the Kwin eye-candy is concerned, it apparently was not enabled. I suspect there is some configuration file that I need to modify (yes, I've been reading a lil bit), but I have 2 concerns in that matter:

1) I shouldn't have to turn it on. It should be on by default.
    2) With all the other major (but not critical) problems I was having, KDE has a LOT more work to do than to mess with Kwin.

In short, I can't believe this is considered a Release Candidate. There is no way anyone without extensive experience in Linux could find any semblance of usefulness out of this Desktop Environment. Anyone coming from Windows and seeing KDE4 for the first time would give up after about 30 seconds...once they realized there was no way to launch any applications.

I am currently downloading the Live CD to see if it is some crazy one-off issue that only affect my PC, although I highly doubt it.

If anyone has any ideas as far as how to get my KDE4 installation working properly, please let me know.

Geforce 6600 GT.
    NEC Multisync LCD 1560M monitor. P4 2.6GHz cpu. 1.5Gib RAM, 4x80GB HDD's in a RAID5 config. Nothing too strange about my setup, except the raid array.

Re: KDE4 RC1 - working, but not pretty

I wouldn't bother with KDE 4 until it's a final release... It's been quite buggy, and they're kind of behind their schedule.
    For external use only.

Comment

So yeah...about that Live CD...

I finished downloading the live CD. The K Menu button seems to be located in the right spot. All of the other problems are still apparent though. The kicker panel is still mostly useless, the screen resolution is mostly not correct, and I still don't have any floppy windows!! Is it too much to ask?

If this truly a Candidate for the Release of KDE4 as a product, I'll stick with KDE3, thanks. Too bad too, cause I'd really like to see some combination of shadows, transparencies, and advanced 3d eye-candy like floppy windows and cubed desktops all integrated into one Window Manager.

I have tried Compiz Fusion, but it doesn't get along well with shadows and window fading in KDE3.

Comment

Re: So yeah...about that Live CD...

Originally posted by PerfectApproach

I have tried Compiz Fusion, but it doesn't get along well with shadows and window fading in KDE3.
        I wonder about that -- have you reviewed the "Image Gallery" on this forum (see it at the top of your screen)? Compiz actually works pretty well on Kubuntu Gutsy, assuming you've got your Nvidia driver configured for glx and compositing.

Comment

Yup. I'm running Gutsy and KDE 3.5.8. I'm running Compiz Fusion just fine (thanks dibl!) and loving it. Yeah, I've got to have my 'eye candy' thank you very much! I've also posted several Compiz desktop images in the Image Gallery. Compiz, KDE 3.5.8 and Gutsy get along very well.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I put Compiz Fusion (right when they merged with Beryl) on Feisty Fawn, and was unimpressed, but that's just cause I'm a perfectionist. Oh, and I had 2 bad hard drives, and Feisty was a little schizophrenic sometimes anyway. I haven't checked the image gallery, but as soon as I get all the KDE4 crap off there, I'll throw compiz fusion on there and see how well it behaves.

I think the main problem I had when I tried it was that I couldn't have drop shadows (a la KDE3) and window "floppiness" and all the other eye candy at the same time. And I was limited to 1 window decoration, 1 theme, all that happy jazz. I noticed that I had set a specific window decoration/theme that I liked, and then I installed compiz, and it all changed. I removed compiz, and everything went back to the way I liked it, sans eye-candy.

Does Compiz Fusion come with the 3d-desktop rotating cube feature? I know there was a separate (non-compiz) package called 3ddesktop that you could install into KDE3 that worked well, but I'd like to use one installed in Compiz, if that feature is included. No sense in having redundant programs for that kind of thing.

To Be Continued!

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectApproach
              Does Compiz Fusion come with the 3d-desktop rotating cube feature?
              Yes. You have to look at the Image Gallery! So far, the one thing that was in Beryl, and not (yet) available in Compiz, is the 'floating' windows off of the cube panels. That is being worked on however. Other than that, all of the desireable eye-candy is present, and then some!
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

There's a long thread about the 3D Windows plugin going over on the Compiz-Fusion forum:

http://forum.compiz-fusion.org/showt...ght=3d+windows

Reply #15 has this link:

http://gitweb.opencompositing.org/?p...s/3d;a=summary

Download the latest snapshot from there, install, restart Compiz-Fusion and you will now have the 3D Windows plugin in CCSM! No idea when it will be 'natively' supported but hopefully soon. Until then, enjoy!

Comment

Working...
                X