This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Switching Keyboard Layout

I had major problem with keyboard layout switching (english<->greek) since my upgrade from Feisty to Gutsy. Configuring it through the system settings gui was completely broken: Initially alt+shift wouldn't work at all, and the only way to switch layout was through clicking on the flag. Then I edited ~/.kde/share/config/kdegobals and changed Next Keyboard Layout to Alt+Shift_L, this made the flag in the taskbar switch but I kept writing english all the time. So I edited ~/.kde/share/config/kxkbrc and had to change the LayoutList=us,gr to LayoutList=us,el and now greek work fine. Just posting here in case others face the same problem. Note that layout switching works fine in Feisty, and in Ubuntu Gutsy; I think this is a pretty major problem that dissuades people from using KDE and should be addressed.

Re: Switching Keyboard Layout

I've had the same problem trying to switch between the standard us layout and the international variant of the us layout. Looking in troubleshooting (in help), I found the work-around of using CTRL-ALT-k to switch layouts without mucking around in my configuration files.

Comment

Re: Switching Keyboard Layout

Seems, I have the same need. I use Russian and English layouts. Alt+Ctrl works fine for switching from one layout to another, but It would be great to set up switching so that I would be able to switch, for example:

Alt+Ctrl+1 -> Russian
      Alt+Ctrl+2 -> English

This is an example. Any other combination would be acceptable. Is it possible in KDE (4.1.4)? How?

Comment

Working...
      X