Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Internet slows up in linux wen compared to Windows????

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Internet slows up in linux wen compared to Windows????

i use firefox in windows as well as in linux. i found net is bit slow in linux. why is this or any thing to change in the settings of linux to increase its speed.?

Re: Internet slows up in linux wen compared to Windows?

The general opinion is that Linux like every other Unix has a better network behaviour.
    When you cannot duplicate it there is probably something wrong in your Linux set up.

The best way to test the speed of your link is to download a large file from the servers of your own ISP and clock it.
    Good ISP's have such testing files available, this excludes any problems on parts of the network they don't administer as is often the case with the common testing sites.

Hmm re-reading your post I start to wonder, what is it you find slow; downloading as I first thought or on second thought maybe the rendering of pages in Firefox? In the last case why don't you try Konqueror as browser?

Comment

slow in thse sense...hmmm let me give u an example.>>> in windows wen i open this site it akes me 3 sec to get opened where as in linux(kubuntu) it takes me 10 sec.

note : i use same browser ( firefox) in both the os.

Comment

Does the same thing happen if you use Konqueror?
        For external use only.

Comment

yaa almost same thing wid konqueror >>

Comment

is it the security feature(i mean scanning browsed pages) that making net slow in linux

Comment

One thing to check in Konqueror is if you have enabled caching. From Konqueror - Settings | Configure Konqueror | Cache If Use cache is not checked, check it. Under Policy check Keep cache in sync
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

srikar, without being able to help you any further I have to say browsing the web is in Linux not any slower than in Windows.
                What you experience must be due to some set-up problem.

As I think it's the rendering of pages that's slow it'll be necessary to find out why.
                You could try to install a completely different browser like Opera.

I assume running Lynx or one of it's derivatives is not an option

Oh yes one real tip:
                http://www.ubuntugeek.com/speed-up-f...b-browser.html
                Go especially to Tip4, it has helped a lot of people!

Edit:
                A more generic fix for this IPv6 problem:
                http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=202838
                Be aware this is not a Linux fault but a problem with the modem/router.

A lot can be found with a google search for:
                linux speed up firefox

Comment

Working...
                X