This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDM Theme Manager Broken??!!

Does anyone know if there are "issues" with KDM Theme Manager? A fresh install I did failed to implement the O2 login theme. I decided to "fix" that problem with KDM Theme Manger. I've used KDM Theme Manager many times past and for some reason I can't get it to change the Theme or Install new ones. This is my last problem, and I'd like to get it put to bed. Anyone?

Re: KDM Theme Manager Broken??!!

I think there are; I haven't been able to change my KDM theme either. I'm alright with the default one, though, it looks OK.
    Asus G1S-X3:
    Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

You can set the kdm theme manually in /etc/kde3/kdm/kdmrc.
      Edit the Theme= value to something like:
      Theme=/usr/share/apps/kdm/themes/Theme_Name
      (provided you have installed the theme in /usr/share/apps/kdm/themes/)

Comment

/usr/share/doc/kde-kdm-themes/README.Debian tells:
        kdm-theme-krystal for Debian
        ----------------------------

* how to enable themes:
        Currently KDM-themes are not enabled by default in debian!
        Make shure, that there is a "UseTheme=True" line in the
        [X-*-Greeter]-stanza in your /etc/kde3/kdm/kdmrc!

* how to change themes:
        If enabled, KDM uses its circles theme by default, to change this, just
        change the
        "Theme=/usr/share/apps/kdm/themes/circles" line to
        "Theme=/usr/share/apps/kdm/themes/Krystal"!

NOTE: You have to restart KDM after you've made changes to the kdmrc!

-- Bastian Venthur <mail@venthur.de>, Wed, 10 Aug 2005 12:28:49 +0200

So =>

Backup /etc/kde3/kdm/kdmrc

alt + f2: kdesudo kate /etc/kde3/kdm/kdmrc

Look:
        # Greeter config for all displays
        [X-*-Greeter]

# Whether the greeter should be themed.
        # Default is false
        #UseTheme=true

Change ==>

# Whether the greeter should be themed.
        # Default is false
        UseTheme=true

Restart

After this: K > System Settings > Appearance > KDM Theme Manager is working (at here ).

Link:
        CustomizeKubuntu
        https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CustomizeKubuntu
        Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
        1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
        2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

I haven't tried any solutions but do certainly agree, the KDM theme manager must be broken. I just finished a brand new installation and the KDM login screen is smaller and centered, rather than at a higher resolution stretched. I installed kdmthemes and couldn't change KDM at all. I'll probably get to some solutions on this thread tomorrow *but* I do certainly agree, something is wrong

Comment

On a related note, 'kubuntu-default-settings' package, if installed, puts (at least last I checked) a file (cant remember the name, xx-kubuntu-default-something probably) in /etc/default/kdm.d that might interfere with theme settings.

Can't check whether this is the cause of 'kdmtheme' acting funny since I use neither kdmtheme nor kubuntu-default-settings. :P

Possibly a start if you wish to troubleshoot. Of course it might be a problem with kdmtheme itself.

Comment

I see the same problem here,
              I have UseTheme=true in /etc/kde3/kdm/kdmrc but KDM Theme fails to change it and it also fails to add new themes. When I select a new package nothing changes and the package is not added to the list (ot extracted into /usr/share/apps/kdm/themes/

When I was using Feisty, KDMTheme was OK, I did an upgrade to Gutsy RC and now using up-to-date Gutsy

Comment

Well at least that makes me feel like it wasn't just me . I was able to manually install my new Theme and it did show up in KDM Theme Manager, just would switch to it. I'll try to manually edit "/etc/kde3/kdm/kdmrc" and report.

Comment

I also have the same problem, I've tried to modify kdmrc and the problem persists ... where should we report it so it can be fixed?

Comment

If you believe it to be a bug, report such at Launchpad Bugs
                    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

This info is from Kubuntu Customization Kit
                      http://www.kde-look.org/content/show...?content=73085

=> README
                      KDM THEME
                      In order to use KDM themes in Gutsy you must do the following:

1: Remove the file 20_kubuntu_default_settings located under /etc/default/kdm.d This file contains information that will over ride any changes you make to kdmrc.

2: Remove the KDM Theme Manager if you have it installed. It is broken in Gutsy and will create all sorts of havoc in your kdmrc file.

3: To specify which KDM theme you wish to use you must HAND EDIT /etc/kde3/kdm/kdmrc Search for "#UseTheme=true" and remove the leading # symbol, then right above it add the line "Theme=[fullpath to the KDM Theme file]" usually /usr/share/apps/kdm/themes/[directoryname]

4: Make sure that the Theme file has BOTH GdmGreeterTheme.desktop and KdmGreeterTheme.desktop files in it. Canonical did something to KDM and it is reading GdmGreeterTheme.desktop instead of KdmGreeterTheme.desktop

Note: At some point your kdmrc file will get over written by your system. When this happens simply put the full path name back in "Theme=" line. Once you make this correction after the system over write then you will no longer have an issue with the kdmrc file again.

Once you have made your initial changes to kdmrc you must restart your system for them to take effect. Any changes made to kdmrc after that will not require a restart.
                      Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
                      1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
                      2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Rog131 has hit the nail on the head - no other way round it.

BTW, perfect time to get acquainted with vi as your favorite editor
                        Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Yes, thank you
                          Asus G1S-X3:
                          Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

Hi ... Guys good news ... I found the solution at

http://www.tecpages.com/solution-for...-not-changing/ and it worked perfectly for me.

Thanks

Comment

That'll work!
                              Asus G1S-X3:

Comment

Working...
                              X