Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the default root password for the kubuntu LiveDVD?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Win XP Pro SP3 / Kubuntu 8.04<br />MSI K8N Neo4 SLI Platinum (model MS-7100) / BIOS - 3.0 - / PCB version - 3.00 -<br />64-bit Athlon 3200+<br />2x1024 Mb Corsair Value RAM PC3200<br />Leadtek 128Mb 6600GT PCIe Graphics Card / Integrated Creative 24-bit SoundBlaster Sound Card

Re: What is the default root password for the kubuntu LiveDVD?

Shouldn't have one set. To log in as root, you have to set a password - use this command:

Code:
    $ sudo passwd
    And this will let you log into a TTY as root, or via su. I believe Ubuntu prevents you from starting an X session as root.

Actually, now that you bring it up, I've always had this problem with Ubuntu - it never makes you set a root password. I understand the principle of never using root except through su and sudo... but out of the box, if I can have access to any sudoer account, I can run the command above and steal the root account.

Ubuntu should make the user set up a default root password during setup... no new user would think to set it themselves this way.

Comment

Re: What is the default root password for the kubuntu LiveDVD?

Well, letting people log in as root if they don't know what they're doing is a very bad thing.
      Better to use sudo when necessary than log in as root all the time.
      For external use only.

Comment

Working...
      X