Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dolphin error on close [SOLVED]

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Dolphin error on close [SOLVED]

    Unable to save bookmarks in /home/jbaerbock/.kde/share/apps/d3lphin/bookmarks.xml. Reported error was: Permission denied. This error message will only be shown once. The cause of the error needs to be fixed as quickly as possible, which is most likely a full hard drive.


    That is the error I now get after I ran ntfs-config in order to fix my ntfs problems. Konq does not show any errors however and I have 13GB of space free.

    #2
    Re: Dolphin error on close

    Navigate to the file and hover your mouse over the file. Are you listed as the Owner?
    Slava Ukraini! πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡¦
    Windows no longer obstruct my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes​

    Comment


      #3
      Re: Dolphin error on close

      Yup permissions say I am the owner.

      Good grief why did they release such a buggy linux? I have had sooo many problems already.

      Comment


        #4
        Re: Dolphin error on close

        Do the Permissions display as -rw-r--r-- ?
        Slava Ukraini! πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡¦
        Windows no longer obstruct my view.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes​

        Comment


          #5
          Re: Dolphin error on close

          Well what I am trying to look at is my home folder, works fine but when i close it gave me that error in dolphin. My username has all permissions, read, write, whaknot else.

          Comment


            #6
            Re: Dolphin error on close

            The bookmarks.xml the error refers to is permissions set to root. I ran a sudo dolphin and changed them but for some reason it did not save the setting.

            Comment


              #7
              Re: Dolphin error on close

              If it's truly an ownership issue, open a konsole and type:
              Code:
              sudo chown jbaerbock:jbaerbock /home/jbaerbock/.kde/share/apps/d3lphin/bookmarks.xml
              This will change the ownership and group to your user account for the file.
              Slava Ukraini! πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡¦
              Windows no longer obstruct my view.
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes​

              Comment


                #8
                Re: Dolphin error on close

                Awesome thanks. My question is why did it not work when I used the GUI under sudo to change the permissions, settings did not stick.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Re: Dolphin error on close

                  Originally posted by jbaerbock
                  ...why did it not work when I used the GUI under sudo ...
                  That, as they say, is the $64,000.00 question. It just seems that not all of the GUI utilities work as one expects they should.
                  Slava Ukraini! πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡¦
                  Windows no longer obstruct my view.
                  Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                  "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes​

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Re: Dolphin error on close [SOLVED]

                    I think in general Gutsy isn't working as everyone expected it should lol. Seriously, lots of bugs here.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Re: Dolphin error on close [SOLVED]

                      It is known problem:

                      Bug #136458 in dolphin
                      dolphin not able to save bookmarks after using "open as root" option
                      https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...in/+bug/136458

                      Affects Status Importance Assigned to
                      dolphin (Ubuntu) Confirmed Undecided
                      >

                      Snowhog told how to fix it, BUT next time you use "open as root":
                      Unable to save bookmarks in /home/USER/.kde/share/apps/d3lphin/bookmarks.xml. Reported error was: Permission denied. This error message will only be shown once. The cause of the error needs to be fixed as quickly as possible, which is most likely a full hard drive.
                      Before you edit, BACKUP !

                      Why there are dead links ?
                      1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
                      2. Thread: Lost Information

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Re: Dolphin error on close [SOLVED]

                        Funny thing is I wasn't even trying to save a bookmark, just browsed in my folders then hit x. Yeah im going back to Mint.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Re: Dolphin error on close [SOLVED]


                          Or Konqueror:

                          Topic: How to change konqueror back to default file manager in 7.10
                          http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3087520.0
                          Before you edit, BACKUP !

                          Why there are dead links ?
                          1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
                          2. Thread: Lost Information

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Re: Dolphin error on close

                            Originally posted by Snowhog
                            If it's truly an ownership issue, open a konsole and type:
                            Code:
                            sudo chown jbaerbock:jbaerbock /home/jbaerbock/.kde/share/apps/d3lphin/bookmarks.xml
                            This will change the ownership and group to your user account for the file.
                            Thanks, Snowhog. I've had this needling little aggravation since I upgraded to Gutsy. Never bothered trying to fix it until I noticed your post.

                            Cheers

                            Lowey
                            I wish I was the man my dog thinks I am.<br /><br />Registered Linux User No. 402825

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Re: Dolphin error on close [SOLVED]

                              Glad to have been of some assistance.
                              Slava Ukraini! πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡¦
                              Windows no longer obstruct my view.
                              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes​

                              Comment

                              Users Viewing This Topic

                              Collapse

                              There are 0 users viewing this topic.

                              Working...
                              X