This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tango in the newer Kubuntus

How hard would it be to provide Tango icons for all the KDE apps in Kubuntu/Ubuntu?... I'm tired of having all sorts of programs with different icons, looks stupid, especially when they could all look the same.

Do the programs just like contain links to various images in the system? Or is it built-in to the actual executable?

Because this would make Gutsy+1 the perfect OS; complete harmony on the look-n-feel front!
    Yes
    0%
    No
    0%
    Unsure
    0%

Re: Tango in the newer Kubuntus

That depends on what you mean by "Tango".

If you mean the sample icon theme from the Tango project, then no, I don't want personally want it in Kubuntu.

But if you mean the Icon Naming specification that started from the Tango project, which is becoming accepted (or has already been accepted) as a standard on FreeDesktop.org, then by all means, yes.

And you don't have to wait that long. KDE 4, the next lifecycle release of KDE, has adopted the Icon Naming specification from fd.o, which is, again, based on the specification proposed by the Tango project. You just have to wait for 3 things to happen:

1. KDE 4 to be released
    2. Tango to "sync" with newer changes made in fd.o
    3. More icon themes using the naming standard to come out.

In the meantime, you could either:
    1. Use an icon theme that has both a GNOME and a KDE version; or
    2. Use a Tango theme for KDE, like for example http://kde-look.org/content/show.php...?content=32288
    (You can do a further search in KDE-Look.org for other choices).

Just remember that Tango is more than just an icon theme. What has been accepted into FreeDesktop.org, and consequently by KDE, is the icon naming specification. So icon themes that can be used both on GNOME and KDE is not that far behind from becoming reality.
    Jucato's Data Core

Comment

The icon-naming specification I had heard of, but wasn't too sure if it was planned for KDE4.

I was talking about the icons themselves. But if a KDE theme can make all the KDE-based apps use the same theme as well, then it's a massive boon, and I guess Tango's icons wouldn't be necessary by default.

Comment

Originally posted by Jorophose
        I'm tired of having all sorts of programs with different icons, looks stupid, especially when they could all look the same.
        what are those "all sorts of programs"?
        I don't see any other application than adept that is using "nuvola" icons - however the adept icons are put into /usr/share/icons/crystalsvg so that makes them supposedly crystal icons despite of their completely different style~

Furthermore your poll question is poorly worded; do you want to replace crystal icons with tango's? If so then you have to wait longer, because tango icons don't have replacement for every crystal icon yet and would not really solve issue of "not having the same icon set across all applications".

Tango icons are great, I dare anyone say they suck, but there is a contradiction between your issue of applications not using same icon set and your proposed solution to use tango icons.

Comment

Tango icons don't suck. But I don't like them. But the thing about artwork, is that everyone has different tastes.

And I bet he's talking about non-KDE apps. GNOME and KDE don't use the same icon naming convention. Hopefully the fd.o spec on icon naming will begin to solve this. But it's still evolving at this point.
          Jucato's Data Core

Comment

I never really liked Crystal. But I'd just love to see Tango's icons by default in programs... I don't think you can change KDE app's icon themes if you're working under Xfce or Gnome. Having it as Tango by default would be nicer. Then whoever needs Crystal (Either because they like it better or there's missing Tango icons) could switch to it.

Just those small differences in dialogues & icons makes it a bit odd sometimes...

Comment

er... you can change KDE icon themes even under Xfce or GNOME. The easiest way would be to install kcontrol and change it from there.

But that's only for icons. There is almost nothing you can do to change how the dialog boxes appear. That is part of how KDE, GNOME, Qt, and GTK+ work and are not just eyecandy.

Btw, I don't like Crystal SVG myself. (that specific theme, there are other Crystal icons set that are quite beautiful) Or rather, I've outgrown it after half a year of using it. I prefer to use Nuvola instead, and excitedly wait the new Oxygen icons in KDE 4. Tango is nice, but there's just something about it that doesn't quite suit me.
              Jucato's Data Core

Comment

Originally posted by Jorophose
                I don't think you can change KDE app's icon themes if you're working under Xfce or Gnome. Having it as Tango by default would be nicer.
                If you are using gnome or xfce then this poll makes no sense whatsoever.

Comment

Working...
                X