This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Desktop is messed up.

I upgraded to Gutsy through Synaptic, and I updated my Nvidia driver using their instructions to get Compiz/Beryl working. After some struggling, I got everything to work except for the desktop itself. After booting up, clicking anything on the desktop makes stuff freeze up, and most programs only start if I run them using kdesu. If I log in to KDE using failsafe mode, I can start kicker run everything normally minus the desktop itself. I'm not sure what other information I would need to provide to get help here, so let me know if there's anything else that could be useful. Thanks!

Re: Desktop is messed up.

Does the desktop still belong to you (read: the user)?
    Check the ownership of (e.g.) /home/[user]/.kde/* ...

Comment

Re: Desktop is messed up.

Originally posted by UnicornRider
      Does the desktop still belong to you (read: the user)?
      Check the ownership of (e.g.) /home/[user]/.kde/* ...
      Yeah, it looks like I still own everything in that folder in either login mode.

One other thing that I forgot to mention before: When I log in using the default option and try to browse files using applications that I can run as a normal user (looking for a desktop wallpaper in beryl, for example), it doesn't show any files. The bar in the corner just stays at 0% and nothing happens.

So this might be an ownership issue since it doesn't seem to want me to look at my files. I just wish I had a better idea of how linux worked

Comment

Working...
      X