This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Audacity mp3 export no longer there?

I'll admit, this is the first time I've used Audacity in a while. Certainly since I started to use Gutsy. But I do have LAME installed, and it's even detected, yet even so Audacity does not show up as having an option for exporting as an mp3. What gives?

Re: Audacity mp3 export no longer there?

HAs it ever worked, or is this the first time you are trying it?
    Speak the gospel of (K)Ubuntu!

Comment

Hmm, not really sure. It always worked when I used to use Audacity in PCLinuxOS. If I used it when I ran Fiesty, then it probably worked for me then too, as I would have remembered something like that not working.

Comment

It's present and working in Ubuntu Feisty, which I have booted at this moment. I'll check Kubuntu later.

EDIT: Man O man I just refreshed my memory on how inflexible Audacity is about your filesystem (as it last remembers it!) If it could get over the fact that I deleted some redundant directories in the Music section of my home directory, I'm pretty sure it would export to mp3 -- it is showing that capability in the File menu, but it locks every time I try to export, with a message that it can't find the old Tex Ritter directory that I nuked last week. "Cannot enumerate files in directory /home/dibl/music/recorded albums/.........."

:P

Comment

i wouldn't recommend using mp3 unless you really, really need it for something. use ogg for lossy audio & flac for lossless audio is my recommendation.
          <br />

Comment

So I'm supposed to just ignore a bug? I'm not down with that.

Comment

As far as I know, you need to install LAME (liblame) in order to be able to rip/encode/produce MP3's (Audacity, K3b, KAudioCreator, etc).

(The reason this worked in PCLinuxOS out of the box is because PCLOS comes with all these proprietary codecs preinstalled)
              Jucato&#39;s Data Core

Comment

Originally posted by molloollom
                But I do have LAME installed, and it's even detected

Comment

You may need to enable the Medibuntu repository to enable the "restricted" codecs:

http://medibuntu.sos-sts.com/repository.php

Comment

Nope, I already use that repo and already have those codecs installed. The application even finds the libmp3lame.so.0 file right where it's supposed to within the file structure. The export function for mp3 simply is not there.

If anybody else can verify that this is a bug within gutsy on their system as well I'll go ahead and file the bug report.

Comment

well, not that i ever use mp3, but i just tried it with audacity-1.3.3-1build1 on i686 and it works perfectly fine.
                      <br />

Comment

Well, okay then.

Comment

I'm having the same issues

I've just switched from Ubuntu to Kubuntu and I can't get Audacity to find the Lame plugin (libmp3.....). It worked great in Ubuntu.

OGG is not an option for me.... MP3 is essential for those I send the files to. (They are commercial voice-overs).)

In Ubuntu, I simply opened Terminal and entered
                          Code:
                          sudo apt-get install lame
                          ...then in Audacity's configuration, I added the zero to the default plugin name and it worked without a fuss..... I didn't have to hunt for anything.

I just tried the same thing in Ubuntu, saw all the usual scrolling messages in Konsole...but I can't find the plugin at all.

What steps do I need to take? I'm really trying to learn the differences between Gnome and KDE. Thanks!

Comment

I wish I could help. I never did get it working. But yeah, I was using kubuntu at the time. Now that I'm using a vanilla feisty install of ubuntu, like you said all I had to do was add a zero.

Comment

Working...
                            X