This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This new X11 version is awesome

I don't know about you guys' experience with it so far, but since I upgraded X to 1.3.0 in gutsy it's been nothing but good things for me. nvidia-settings doesn't crash anymore, it displays all the proper opengl output for the first time ever for me, dual-head setup actually works now, and opengl applications seem to run smoother than before. I dunno how a single release fixed so much stuff for me, but man, those devs are doing a kickass job.

Re: This new X11 version is awesome

But there still no configuration tool like "system-config-display" in Fedora. For instance I can't configure dual monitor using only systemsettings and I need to do it manually.

Comment

Good point. I did it in nvidia-settings because that's what my card is, but I guess if you don't have an nvidia card you're SOL.

I'd been wondering about that lately too, like how do folks who use those embedded Intel graphics cards do any of the more complicated X stuff that's not in the settings? I'd been thinking about getting one of those Dell ubuntu laptops but does it have any settings menu at all beyond the system settings and kde settings menus? Because I gotta say, the nvidia-settings menu is very nice (now that it actually fully works for me). Seems like configuring manually would be very mundane and not fun.

Comment

Hey check it out I just saw this in the wiki for tribe 1 of Gutsy:

The long existing problem of not having an graphical tool to configure X will go away with Gutsy, with the new [WWW] displayconfig-gtk spec. Work for this spec has already been rolling along, with a [WWW] new UI being designed. Expect packages to land soon.

Good news for you eh, knedlyk?

Comment

That sounds great for everyone!!

Comment

Working...
          X