This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Things about Gutsy Gibbon

OK I know this might not be the place for me to post about some new ideas that i have for Kubuntu Gutsy Gibbon but i think this might be the place where this ideas would really ber heard.

1) I think (i talk from previews experiences) that a control panel for both gnome and kde flavours of the buntu OS is absolutely necessary due to novice users would have the "power" of their computer at the tip of their fingers, because the time that i was trying PCLinuxOS i found this feature very useful so i would like to see something like that on kubuntu with the addition of having on it "add/remove programs" instead of having it right the menu. This new "add/remove programs" would have an option called "Mediabuntu", a script that would automatice the process of installing GStreamer extra plugins, GStreamer ffmpeg video plugin, GStreamer plugins for aac, xvid, mpeg2, faad, GStreamer plugins for mms, wavpack, quicktime, musepack, Xine extra plugins, also adding the mediabuntu repos to download the updates and rest of the codecs to have a completely multimedia kubuntu box, also having libdvdcss and w32codecs, (Of course you can select which package gets download and do get all of it installed, 'cuse if you don't want to have restricted codecs you don have to download them). Trust me as a new user i had to google all over the web to find mediabuntu add the repos and have a completely multimedia box for all the nonrestricted and restricted media formats, this way new user will be introduced to a whole a lot easier way to handle codecs issues by automaticing the whole process.

2) A new polish, neat, shiny, clear "pearl", stylish, elegant and professional, FAST look. Artwork can be better and i know you can customize everything on kde but you have to look at the market, new novice user usually don't get the chance to customize at their will their respective OS so by presenting them a new look that does not requires a lot of customizing but it still is beautiful they would be a lot more confortable, you have to look at the OS form their perspective the want an easy to install, beautiful theme, OS that you can turn you're PC/mac...etc, and just works...and like the best caratetristic of linux its flexibility power users can tweak it at their will, and novice users will get, with time, more interested on the OS and then they would learn more an more about it until the become power users if they want.

3) KDE tweaking for speed, more, more, more speed..."I'm a speed demon".

Thanks for reading and please tell me what you think.

Re: New Things about Gutsy Gibbon

Originally posted by Youknowwho
    1) I think (i talk from previews experiences) that a control panel for both gnome and kde flavours of the buntu OS is absolutely necessary due to novice users would have the "power" of their computer at the tip of their fingers, because the time that i was trying PCLinuxOS i found this feature very useful so i would like to see something like that on kubuntu with the addition of having on it "add/remove programs" instead of having it right the menu...
    Uh, KDE has kcontrol, Kubuntu turns this into System Settings. I believe Ubuntu/Gnome uses Gnome Control Panel, or whatever it's called.

This new "add/remove programs" would have an option called "Mediabuntu", a script that would automatice the process of installing GStreamer extra plugins, GStreamer ffmpeg video plugin, GStreamer plugins for aac, xvid, mpeg2, faad, GStreamer plugins for mms, wavpack, quicktime, musepack, Xine extra plugins, also adding the mediabuntu repos to download the updates and rest of the codecs to have a completely multimedia kubuntu box, also having libdvdcss and w32codecs, (Of course you can select which package gets download and do get all of it installed, 'cuse if you don't want to have restricted codecs you don have to download them). Trust me as a new user i had to google all over the web to find mediabuntu add the repos and have a completely multimedia box for all the nonrestricted and restricted media formats, this way new user will be introduced to a whole a lot easier way to handle codecs issues by automaticing the whole process.
    I doubt this is going to happen - in an ideal world, of course, all the required codecs would be part of the distro. However, licensing issues (which are treated with almost religious zeal by some of the FOSS community) are what keeps them separate from your main download and repos, and same issues will hinder any attempts to draw them together. TBH I was surprised to see amaroK automatically installing MP3 codecs for you.

2) A new polish, neat, shiny, clear "pearl", stylish, elegant and professional, FAST look. Artwork can be better and i know you can customize everything on kde but you have to look at the market, new novice user usually don't get the chance to customize at their will their respective OS so by presenting them a new look that does not requires a lot of customizing but it still is beautiful they would be a lot more confortable, you have to look at the OS form their perspective the want an easy to install, beautiful theme, OS that you can turn you're PC/mac...etc, and just works...and like the best caratetristic of linux its flexibility power users can tweak it at their will, and novice users will get, with time, more interested on the OS and then they would learn more an more about it until the become power users if they want.
    The trouble with artwork is that it's all subjective. (Hence why some people call a graffiti'd, slept-in bed 'art'...) What is "stylish, elegant and professional" to you is someone else's garish, ugly and childish. Look at it this way: Someone at Microsoft had to look at the Fisher Price XP defaults and think it looked nice...

3) KDE tweaking for speed, more, more, more speed..."I'm a speed demon".
    I'm certain that this is what KDE and Kubuntu developers are working towards all the time... though attentions are focusing on KDE4 now. Not sure what effect that's going to have.

Thanks for reading and please tell me what you think.
    I think you need to use more full stops :P

Comment

Working...
    X