This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Control Center Empty (again) old solution doesn't work

after a recent update, control center is empty again. (as in feisty testing). everything is in the lost & found menu entry in the kde menu except OBEX devices which is still in the settings section where it should be. has anyone else experienced this?
    before, the solution was:
    sudo rm -rf /etc/xdg/menus/kde-applications-merged/kde-essential.menu
    then
    sudo apt-get install kdebase-data
    then
    kbuildsycoca

this is the result:
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    kdebase-data is already the newest version.
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 8 not upgraded.

kbuildsyscoca
    kbuildsycoca running...
    Reusing existing ksycoca
    kio (KSycoca): ERROR: No database available!

and not surprisingly, since the package didn't install and kbuildsyscoca didn't regenerate, no change....suggestions?
    <br />

Re: Control Center Empty (again) old solution doesn't work

Have tested your scripts & can confirm the same here.

Cary
    The Ubuntu Counter Project - user number # 7859, registered Linux user 470405 Lenovo T510 Kubuntu Trusty 64bit, Intel Core i5-560M, 8 GB PC3-DDR3 SDRAM - 1067 MHz, NVIDIA NVS 3100m PCI Express, Wireless Centrino N 6300 My website http://www.qah.org.au

Comment

excuse my ignorance, but which scripts would those be?
      <br />

Comment

Sorry "scripts" was the wrong word Commands would be appropriate!
        sudo rm -rf /etc/xdg/menus/kde-applications-merged/kde-essential.menu
        then
        then
        kbuildsycoca

Sorry for the confusion! Cary
        The Ubuntu Counter Project - user number # 7859, registered Linux user 470405 Lenovo T510 Kubuntu Trusty 64bit, Intel Core i5-560M, 8 GB PC3-DDR3 SDRAM - 1067 MHz, NVIDIA NVS 3100m PCI Express, Wireless Centrino N 6300 My website http://www.qah.org.au

Comment

Solution is as follows:

Code:
          sudo mkdir /etc/xdg/menus/applications-merged/
          sudo cp /etc/xdg/menus/kde-applications-merged/kde-essential.menu /etc/xdg/menus/applications-merged/kde-essential.menu
          sudo cp /etc/xdg/menus/kde-applications-merged/system-settings-merge.menu /etc/xdg/menus/applications-merged/system-settings-merge.menu
          Then run kcontrol and systemsettings to check how it work. BTW, in case you cannot find kde-essential.menu, try to get it from http://mirrors.kernel.org/ubuntu/poo...buntu2_all.deb

Comment

Thanks! Solution worked here!
            Specs:&nbsp; Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (@3Ghz), G.SKILL 4GB DDR2 1066, ASUS Striker II Formula MB, Asus EN9800GTX+ Dark Knight, ABS Tagan BZ800 PS, Antec 900 Case.

Comment

i did
              Code:
              sudo mkdir /etc/xdg/menus/applications-merged/
              then
              Code:
              sudo cp /etc/xdg/menus/kde-applications-merged/kde-essential.menu /etc/xdg/menus/applications-merged/kde-essential.menu
              and got:
              cp: cannot stat `/etc/xdg/menus/kde-applications-merged/kde-essential.menu': No such file or directory
              then
              Code:
              sudo cp /etc/xdg/menus/kde-applications-merged/system-settings-merge.menu /etc/xdg/menus/applications-merged/system-settings-merge.menu
              and it didn't fix anything.
              so then i tried reinstalling kdebase-data from synaptic and that ended up fixing "System Settings" but not Control Center.

thanks
              <br />

Comment

Originally posted by disturbedite
                so then i tried reinstalling kdebase-data from synaptic and that ended up fixing "System Settings" but not Control Center.
                Kcontrol works here. Not sure why it only would have fixed one, but not the other, for you.
                Specs:&nbsp; Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (@3Ghz), G.SKILL 4GB DDR2 1066, ASUS Striker II Formula MB, Asus EN9800GTX+ Dark Knight, ABS Tagan BZ800 PS, Antec 900 Case.

Comment

@3vi1
                  me either.

any other suggestions?
                  <br />

Comment

Originally posted by disturbedite
                    cp: cannot stat `/etc/xdg/menus/kde-applications-merged/kde-essential.menu': No such file or directory
                    then
                    Code:
                    and it didn't fix anything.

thanks

Read carefully:

" BTW, in case you cannot find kde-essential.menu, try to get it from http://mirrors.kernel.org/ubuntu/poo...buntu2_all.deb "

Not reinstall, just extract it from archive and put it into the correct place.

Comment

oh my bad, ok, i'll try that. i figured reinstalling it would do that.

UPDATE:
                      thanks, that worked.
                      <br />

Comment

Still no go for me I thought the latest update of KDE 3.5.7 would fix but no go! the copy command listed above fails for me!

Cary

Comment

Originally posted by caryb
                          Still no go for me I thought the latest update of KDE 3.5.7 would fix but no go! the copy command listed above fails for me!

Cary
                          Have you extracted the file from the deb and copied it to the right location manually? That's what disturbidite and I had to do.

Comment

Ok I ignored the errors & all is good & working

Cary

Comment

Man, I'm glad I came across this thread. That system settings thing had been bugging me for like a week.

Comment

Working...
                              X