This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am confused about java and 64 bit..please help

At long last the java 64 bit problems landed on my desk as one of the banks I have been using recently started using a web application that demands java runtime environment to work.

Then I read in a thread somewhere that Sun just haven't released JRE for 64-bit linux, so I installed it in a windows partition instead (I have Opera windows browser). But then when I visited the java.com website in order to download the windows JRE version, I saw that there is a Linux x64 ("self extracting") and a Linux x64 RPM available.

There is an * that says "please use the 64 bit version for Java applet and Java Web Start support" - is that why people are saying there isn't JRE for 64 bit linux?

Is there any hack that can be done to make these web based java applications work regardless?

I don't use Java much, all my work applications (scientific stuff) are mostly C++ and C# (curses as in "¤&/"#¤&!) based, so I haven't been dependent on JRE to get my job done, and therefore haven't really learned a lot about it. However, some software providers are now offering competing software packages to the ones I use built with Java.They argue that it will run on "anything", "code once use everywhere" - and it just doesn't make sense if Java does not work on linux 64 systems which for all other purposes (especially computing intensive science applications which may involve parallell processing in the near future) are considered the rolls royce of OS. Does anyone know if Sun intends to publish the JRE software complete for 64-bit, or are they dragging their feet at it - is there any genuine technical reason their technology does not work on linux 64 bit? (It appears they don't have this for the 64 bit version of solaris either....)

Surprised and a little bit sad at what I have learned so far, it appears I may be looking for a new bank! ....for once I am the one with the upper hand here (I actually own the money) , and I will buy" monetary storage services" from whomever will provide the service I require. "So you demand I downgrade to an inferior OS in order to communicate with your online services? I am afraid that is not consistent with my policies on open software standard and early adaptation of new technology. I might have to look for another provider."

Gee, I am almost looking forward to writing that!

Working...
X