This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgrade Existing 32bit to 64?

I have an existing Kubuntu 32 bit install running on an oldish setup. I'm upgrading its motherboard & CPU to a AMD M2 64 bit processor.

First I'd thought I'd get the 32 bit install stable after the MB upgrade - new chipsets and all

Once that's done is it possible to upgrade the 32bit install to 64bit? is it a bad idea?

Thanks - Lindsay

Re: Upgrade Existing 32bit to 64?

Hi,

I don't know any solutions to upgrade from a 32 bits system to a 64 one, but maybe I'm mistaking. For me the best way would be to reinstall a 64 bits version when you're done...

Hope it helps.

Comment

"Upgrade" is a wrong description of the difference between 32-bit and 64-bit -- it is an "architecture change". And no, there is no path to change from one to the other.

If you think you want to end up with 64-bit Linux, you should probably just install it in the first place. Most everything works the same, with the exception of Flash and Java Runtime Environment (JRE). These packages don't exist in 64-bit versions. There is an nspluginwrapper package that allows 32-bit Flash to run in Firefox and other Mozilla-based browser. JRE remains an unsolved problem at this point, although you can find claims of workarounds if you search.

Comment

Thanks guys, that clarifies the issues Definitely don't want to reinstall, only just got comfortable. And the lack of 64bit java is a big problem.

cheers,

blackpaw.

Comment

Originally posted by blackpaw
          And the lack of 64bit java is a big problem.
          that depends on what exactly you need Java for. Standalone applications (like Apache Tomcat (EDIT: or Azureus, if you aren't into web servers... ) ) would work fine, but applets and Web Start applications won't (although there indeed are workarounds.) As I said earlier in-browser support of Java isn't the same thing as JRE.

Comment

Ok, depending on what else you installed, you may need workaround to make azureus (or other Java GUI apps) work, but its unrelated to 64-bitness, and is common to all *nixes.

http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view...bug_id=6532373

For any non-belivers:

[img width=400 height=202]http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa154/3dent/azureus64.jpg[/img]

Look a bottom-right corner

Comment

Web Applets would be an issue and I do a bit of java development - NetBeans, sound slike that would be ok though.

However it sounds like a lot of pain for not much gain. I'll stick with what works for now.

thanks all.

Comment

Working...
              X