X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking to get a new laptop, but...

Hey all,

I trekked all the way over here from the Ubuntu forums. I never knew this place existed before, but then again, I never really looked. x:

Anyway, my financial aid will be kicking in soon and I will have some "spending" money for supplies I might need. One such thing I was looking to get was a new laptop, seeing as my old one is not good anymore for what I'm going to use it for.

The laptop I had my eye on has an AMD Turion 64 Tl-52 (Dual-Core) 1.6Ghz processor. My main concern is driver availability for my sound card, video card and built-in wireless card. From what I've heard, 64bit drivers are sometimes not easy to come by, so I figured that this was the best place to ask.

From what I read about the laptop, it's going to have an nVidia GeForce Go 6100 256MB GPU and the wireless and audio I don't have a clue. I'm sure the sound is pretty much global drivers unless they actually have specifics and for the wireless, from what I've been told, I really only need to worry about the wrappers that MIGHT be needed.

I'm also concerned about the video drivers seeing as I'm also gonna want Compiz-Fusion on my book. Is there going to be to any problems that are well known for 64Bit nVidia drivers?

Last, but not least, what about programs? Really, I only need KMail, maybe Thunderbird for email, OpenOffice.org for my documents and Firefox for my browsing since the sites I visit don't support the Konqueror Browser. Will there be any problems with any of these programs working under the 64Bit environment? And will the distro actually make good use of the dual-core processing power?

Thanks for any replies I get!

Jesse~

Re: Looking to get a new laptop, but...

You shouldn't have any problems running Compiz with the Nvidia GPU on 64bit *buntu (you do have to use the proprietary driver, in case that's an issue to you). You shouldn't have any problems with the other apps either. I run 64bit Gutsy with an Nvidia graphics card, and haven't had any problems with them yet; you may run into some issues running Compiz, but that's because Compiz still has some bugs that need to be hammered out, and there are easy workarounds to fix those.

As far as the other hardware support goes, I use a single core CPU, but dibl (you'll run into him if you stick around long enough) has a dual core processor and seems to enjoy it pretty well. Google the laptop you're looking to purchase and get some specs; then, post the info here and we'll go from there
    Asus G1S-X3:
    Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

Re: Looking to get a new laptop, but...

Reports on running Linux on notebook or laptop computers:
      Linux on Laptops

Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
      X