This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

which version to install on an amd X2 5000+

Just built a new pc just for Kubuntu Gutsy. I know its a 64 bit CPU, but should I use the 32 or 64 bit?

which will be faster? More stable?

I am planning on playing some games (starcraft, UT 04, halflife 1 & 2 and quake 4) I have read that they can all be played through wine. I will also be running a couple of VMware windows for stuff like syncing my phone and Itunes.

Here are the specs of the new box:
    Motherboard ASUS M2N-E SLI Socket AM2 ATX Motherboard, nForce 500 SLI MCP
    CPU AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 5000+
    4GB (4 x 1GB) DDR2 800
    GeForce 8500GT PCI-E Video Card 512
    seagate 250GB SATA Hard Drive 7200RPM, 16MB Cache
    a 500 gig Pata drive for the home directory
    and I will be pulling the dvd drives from the existing box.
    Just Another Freekin Newbie

Re: which version to install on an amd X2 5000+

I'd say go with 64-bit!

I rebuilt one of my own computers a few months ago and had to wrestle with the same decision. At the time (under Feisty) I knew that getting Flash and Java to work on 64-bit would be a little more challenging, but it honestly wasn't that bad and I understand that its even easier now. Also, the upgrade to Gutsy went flawlessly via the command line so no complaints there.

I know that Wine was not available for a while in the 64-bit repos, but I see that its now there so I think you're probably set.

I really don't know which is faster or more stable. I've heard that running the 64-bit version may use a tad more memory due to the longer address lengths, but with 4 gigs I can honestly tell you you'll never notice. When I get around to rebuilding my other machine one of these days it'll definitely be another dual core running 64 bit Kubuntu.
    Kubuntu user since initial release version 5.04 8)

Comment

Working...
    X