Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FLASHing AMAZING! they've got it right!! (Installing FLASH plugin in kubuntu 64)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FLASHing AMAZING! they've got it right!! (Installing FLASH plugin in kubuntu 64)

Previously I think I have posted about 10 posts to various forums and mailinglists on how to install the flashplugin on 64 bit kubuntu. And I mean kubuntu. I want flash in konqueror, not in firefox. I don't have firefox installed, actually.

In previous versions, this installation was a grade 3 hack. There were a multitude of how-to's around but I could not find anything that really worked well for me. I got something that kinda worked but not convingly, really.

The heart of this was always the nspluginwrapper, but getting that perfectly set up was for me probably too hard. Great was my relief then, when now I have installed Gutsy 64-bit only and sent the 32-bit partition to legacy technology graveyard (I nuked the 32-bit installation off my disk in favour of separate /boot partition).

I did the following
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree
    in a terminal window (konsole)

after that, i got a whole lot of text feedback, telling me that it downloaded both the nspluginwrapper and the flash plugin, and installed the whole thing.

Then in konqueror (i don't use firefox nonono, i am konqueror fan number 1) in the settings, plugins, scan for new plugins. Load arbitrary flashified website: (i chose some videos on youtube) and this just worked, straight outa the box.

I AM POSITIVELY SURPRISED! HALLELUJAH!
    (love supplied in great quantities to whomever made this available for the common man!)

Re: FLASHing AMAZING! they've got it right!! (Installing FLASH plugin in kubuntu

I followed your directions and yes, it works just like that! Wonderful!
    Does it follow that I reject all authority? Perish the thought! In the matter of boots, I defer to the authority of the bootmaker. <br /> -Mikhail Bakunin-, &quot;God and the State&quot;

Comment

Re: FLASHing AMAZING! they've got it right!! (Installing FLASH plugin in kubuntu

I'm not sure how you got it working, even after importing the Flash-nonfree plugin into Konqueror, every Flash video I try to play looks like the following:

Edit: In case you're wondering, I usually use Firefox, just I wouldn't mind getting Konqueror to work properly.
      Asus G1S-X3:
      Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

Re: FLASHing AMAZING! they've got it right!! (Installing FLASH plugin in kubuntu 64)

Hey integr8e! Your screenshot there is exactly as far as I got on 64 bit in Edgy and Feisty.

As to how I got it working, my description is pretty accurate! That one line was all there was to it, and you can be sure about that.

As to why it does not work for you, that is a more difficult question.

It likely has something to do with something that is not the flashplugin and not the nspluginwrapper. Did you/do you have any customized linux 32 bit on your machine? Like the flashplugin installed manually for firefox.
        I started from a more or less fresh install, I don't know if that has anything to do with it. I have an AMD 64 X 2 processor and a NVidia 8600 GT graphics card.

Comment

Re: FLASHing AMAZING! they've got it right!! (Installing FLASH plugin in kubuntu 64)

Did you/do you have any customized linux 32 bit on your machine? Like the flashplugin installed manually for firefox.
          No, nothing other than the two listed above I installed through apt, plus one or two Wine applications. The installation I'm currently on is only about two weeks old, so it's fresh too.

I noticed I have the kmplayer-konq-plugins package installed, and read somewhere that there are certain ways you can configure the KMPlayer plugin to play Flash movies in Konqueror, but that feature is still supposed to be in testing, and I haven't messed with any such settings. Do you think this could in some way be conflicting with Adobe's plugin?
          Asus G1S-X3:
          Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

integr8e, what is the name of your flashplugin as registered in konqueror?

mine is
            /usr/lib/firefox/plugins/flashplugin-alternative.so

I got a bit puzzled by the "alternative" part of the name DO you have the same?

Comment

Sorry for the delay in my response, I've been out of town and didn't have access to my computer. I have the flashplugin-alternative.so plugin too; here is my list of Konqueror plugins:
              /usr/lib/firefox/plugins/flashplugin-alternative.so
              /usr/lib/firefox/plugins/mozplugger.so
              /usr/lib/firefox/plugins/mplayerplug-in-dvx.so
              /usr/lib/firefox/plugins/mplayerplug-in-qt.so
              /usr/lib/firefox/plugins/mplayerplug-in-rm.so
              /usr/lib/firefox/plugins/mplayerplug-in.so
              /usr/lib/firefox/plugins/mplayerplug-in-wmp.so
              /usr/lib/firefox/plugins/libflash-mozplugin.so
              Asus G1S-X3:

Comment

Got it!&#160; I removed all the libflash* and similar packages (other than flashplugin-nonfree), and it now works!&#160; Pretty cool

(I guess the other packages and libraries were conflicting with flashplugin-nonfree (flashplugin-alternative.so))

Now that that's working as it should, I may switch over to Konqueror since it includes (as features) nearly all the Firefox extensions I like, and, it's integrated very well with all my other KDE apps. Good stuff!
                Asus G1S-X3:

Comment

Hi, thanks for posting.

Comment

I'm running Feisty on an AMD64 with NVidia. I'd love to have Flash capability. When I run the command you suggested, I get this response:
                    sudo apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree
                    Reading package lists... Done
                    Building dependency tree
                    Reading state information... Done
                    Package flashplugin-nonfree is not available, but is referred to by another package.
                    This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
                    is only available from another source
                    E: Package flashplugin-nonfree has no installation candidate

So, I don't even have access to such a file. What can I do? (I'd rate myself as a "rather experienced newbie" in Linux.)

Comment

The Flash plugin isn't included in the AMD64 Feisty repos, but you can install it with this script - just follow the instructions given on the page.&#160; If you need any help (or an easy, alternate method), let me know
                      Asus G1S-X3:

Comment

How would my installation as reported in the top post work, if it is not in the repos? integr8e, I think you may be mistaken....

Comment

If I'm remembering correctly, the 64-bit Flash plugin wasn't included in the Feisty repos, but was first introduced with Gutsy (which was more than likely the platform you were on at the time of your original post). I can remember all the excitement here on the forums when we discovered the above script and nspluginwrapper, which allowed us to run the 32-bit version of Flash in our 64-bit boxes
                          Asus G1S-X3:

Comment

I am sorry I didn't notice that dhallar is using feisty. In the gutsy forum! (Oh well, that happens in the best families or so I have heard...)

my bad!

Comment

No problem
                              Asus G1S-X3:

Comment

Working...
                              X