This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HP Dv6000 Modem Not Working

Hey Guys Recently Installed Kubuntu 7.10 on my HP dv6000 laptop...again. The first time I installed it I had no problem with the dial up modem. and now i just cant to seem to get it to work. When i use Kppp it just tells me the modem is busy but i dont think it is even there. any help would be awesome.

Re: HP Dv6000 Modem Not Working

I don't have direct knowledge of the solution, but the fact that a previous installation "just worked" is indeed suspicious. Does this modem show up when you do lspci?

If not, try running
    Code:
    sudo update-pciids
    maybe it will be picked up.

One other thing you could do is boot a Live CD and see if works. If so, take a look at Kppp and see how it is set. Then try those settings in your system.

Comment

Hey, The modem does not show up and I cant run that command because dial up is the only internet I get right now were im living. Any other suggestions? Thanks.

Comment

Mmmmmmmmm.

If the kernel does not see a modem, then you're kinda stuck, I'm afraid. Do you still have a Live CD? Can you boot that? Do you have a usb stick or something that you can download a new ISO image on?

I'm thinking you got a kernel version that for some reason doesn't pick up your modem, and that you need a newer kernel than the one you got before. If you could download an 8.10 Live CD ISO image from the daily build directory here:

http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/daily-live/current/

and make a Live CD, and then boot that, you would quickly learn whether the current kernel supports your modem. If so, you could install again, with confidence that you'll have internet.

Then of course you want to keep that kernel, as a future kernel upgrade could leave you stranded again. You always want a known-good kernel available to boot.

Comment

Working...
        X