This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fstab v terminal mount

i've noticed that if i hard mount shares via fstab the transfer rates between them seem half as fast as if i do it via terminal

10.0.0.103:/mnt/Films/ /home/n1ck/drives/films/ nfs nouser,hard,intr,async,atime,auto,rw,nodev,exec,no suid 0 0 Gives me speeds of 10-20MB/s

sudo mount -t nfs 10.0.0.103:/mnt/Films/ /home/n1ck/drives/films/ Gives me 30-40

whys that??

Using:<br />Mint Kubuntu 7.10 (kde4 dual core 2.2ghz 4gb)<br />Freenas (nx6325 hp laptop)<br />Mint Gnome 7.10 (EEE Pc 4g white 1 gb ram)

Re: fstab v terminal mount

Probably due to all those options in the fstab. In particular, try changing "atime" to "noatime"
    I am running Ubuntu 8.10 (yes Gnome) with upgrades applied daily about 0900 UK time. Hardware is Dell Precision 420, 2x 800 MHz PIII, 512 MB RDRAM, nVidia GeForce 6800 128 MB AGP graphics, 18GB SCSI and 500GB IDE HDDs, DVD burner, Hauppage TV card.

Comment

forgetting all the 'options' then, what would be the optimum example, giving me rw access to these drives, and having them auto mount?
      Using:<br />Mint Kubuntu 7.10 (kde4 dual core 2.2ghz 4gb)<br />Freenas (nx6325 hp laptop)<br />Mint Gnome 7.10 (EEE Pc 4g white 1 gb ram)

Comment

Originally posted by eggbanjo
        forgetting all the 'options' then, what would be the optimum example, giving me rw access to these drives, and having them auto mount?
        You can try 'defaults' option in fstab (it should give you the same options as in your manual mount command, see 'man mount' for the default options, and 'man nfs' for nfs specific options)

10.0.0.103:/mnt/Films/ /home/n1ck/drives/films/ nfs defaults 0 0
        (Of course this may not be 'optimal' for your use case, but at least it should be the same as your manual mount example with no options provided)

Comment

cleared off all the options and went default, speed increased greatly.

Wasn't aware that the options would affect the speed, nice to know

Comment

Working...
          X