This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wireless Connects With Static IP But No Internet

I have a Dell Inspiron 1100 Dual Boot Windows XP Pro/Kubuntu 7.10. I have a D-Link DWL-650 Wireless PCMCIA Card. I could not connect to my wireless network using knetworkmanager. After searching the Internet I found sever forums suggesting to switch to wicd.

I made the switch to wicd and it continued to fail when obtaining an IP Address. After some more research, I found some forum post suggesting the use of a static IP. I did so and was able to connect to the network, but I do not get an internet connection. I have set the DNS entries to the same ones that my router found. I am mainly looking for assistance with connecting to the Internet, but help with the DHCP issue would also be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    ~ JimmyJam
    ~ JimmyJam<br />Web Applications Developer<br />Project Manager<br />http://www.expressdynamics.com

Re: Wireless Connects With Static IP But No Internet

Hi Jimmy
    I will paste here the info in a post I just made about how I got my wireless card to work. Hope it helps:

I installed Gutsy on my old IBM A30. And of course my wireless didn't work, seems to be a common problem. I tried everything to get it to work. Even wrote my own script sending commands to iwconfig and still no joy. I wasn't sure if it was Kubuntu or my card, I hadn't used my card in a long time. So I made up a Slax live CD so I could eliminate Kubuntu as the problem. I then used wlassistant in Slax. I had tryed it in Kubuntu but it did nothing. But this time the wireless network came up. I then rebooted back into Kubuntu and guess what my wireless worked just fine.

I suspect that knetworkmanager, the first program I tried to get the card up with, wrote something to the card that was wrong, probably off by one. And anything that tried to use or change the card failed after that. I suspect Knetworkmanager because when it came up the first time it found my wireless card. When I tried to set my card from knetworkmanager it didn't bring it up and couldn't see it any more.

So if you are having problems getting your wireless up try booting into Slax and use wlassistant. And I think I had to do some creative searching to get slax 5.x with the wlassistant module. But if you know about paths in ftp systems you can find it also. Or you can try any number of the live CDs or live usb distros.

Comment

Working...
    X