Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kubuntu gui ftp "shotgun" connection issue getting me banned SOLVED, use gftp

Hey everyone,

I ran into a strange issue some time ago ... I searched a bit for an answer and then just went on to command line tools and forgot about it.

konqueror and dolphin both can ftp to sites no problem. But the host where my live site lives will block me. What happens is that if there are too many incoming connections from an IP, the server adds the IP to hosts.deny for 10 minutes. Command line FTP never trips it. Konqueror and dolphin always trip it. It is as though every time I click on something in the GUI, it connects, does that, then disconnects, all the while remembering and using my user/pass.

I'm hoping you guys could share with me about where to look and what to try as far as settings go?? If there's info I could share (um, and you tell me how to get it) I'll help research from my end, too. The destination box is ubuntu server. I have an account on the box with some privilege but not sudo or root.

Thanks,
    Chris

Re: kubuntu gui ftp "shotgun" connection issue getting me banned

konqueror uses the kio_ftp slave.
    not sure about dolphin.
    guess it does the same.

out of curiosity...
    see if gftp gives you the same problem.
    gftp is from the gnome environment, so it won't use kio_ftp.

see if you get the same behaviour from gftp.

hth

gnu/linux is not windoze

Comment

Re: kubuntu gui ftp "shotgun" connection issue getting me banned

SWEET! That works! Thanks, I'm really stoked. I'm not too much of a GUI guy but when I know there's a task that's automated via a GUI it kinda chaps my hide to bang it out on the command line.

Yaay.
      Chris

Comment

Re: kubuntu gui ftp "shotgun" connection issue getting me banned SOLVED, use gft

I've had success with KFTPGrabber as well. I've also used gftp. They both were equally easy to use and understand.

Comment

Re: kubuntu gui ftp "shotgun" connection issue getting me banned SOLVED, use gftp

good.
          so, apparently the kio_ftp slave does something funny...
          gnu/linux is not windoze

Comment

Re: kubuntu gui ftp "shotgun" connection issue getting me banned SOLVED, use gft

Could be. I've never had much success with using Konqueror or Dolphin to access an FTP site.

Comment

Originally posted by jankushka
              good.
              so, apparently the kio_ftp slave does something funny...
              I always seek out new ways to connect my computers, so I use fish:// as well as sshfs mounted volumes. The konqueror ftp problem isn't show stopping, but at least there is a specific fault as well as a positive example of what to emulate.

I suck at the launchpad, could someone make the bug for me? Or post with instructions for me to do it. That site makes me feel really stupid when I visit... i just don't get the interface at all.

Chris

Comment

Working...
              X