This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Modem seen by Ubuntu but not Kubuntu

I have a Zoom com port modem that was recognized okay by Ubuntu 7.10. However, dial-up in Ubuntu is confusing and I prefer to work with Kppp, so I'm trying to switch to Kubuntu. (I installed KPPP under Ubuntu, but it was very flaky; the icon kept getting lost & didn't show up in the task mgr.)

My problem is that Kubuntu cannot seem to locate the modem. None of the modem choices respond in KPPP, though that's not surprising, as the only interface that's listed in Network setup is the unused ethernet port on the m/b. And I don't find any tool to search for & configure new network devices. What am I missing?

Tom

Re: Modem seen by Ubuntu but not Kubuntu

Is it detected when you run the command
    Code:
    lspci
    Asus G1S-X3:
    Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

Originally posted by integr8e
      Is it detected when you run the command
      Code:
      lspci
      No, I see the ethernet adapter, but not the modem. The modem's actually connected to the comm. port. Is there an internal connection between that and the PCI bus?

Comment

Not that I'm aware of (I was thinking you had an internal PCI modem and wasn't paying attention to "I have a Zoom com port modem")...

Did you install the kubuntu-desktop package alongside Ubuntu, or separately?  If the latter, you may just be missing a driver that was present in Ubuntu.  Since the modem does work on the same hardware with Ubuntu, double-check it's got a good connection and try again; other than that - unless I think of something else - I can't help you further :P

Edit: What is your modem's serial number?
        Asus G1S-X3:
        Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

I'll have to check the s/n when I get home from work this evening.

As far as the install, I ordered a copy of Kubuntu from Cheapbytes and did a new install (not upgrade). I was also thinking that since it's based on the same version of Ubuntu, it should theoretically have the same hardware support, so I don't know what the problem is.

Comment

Not that I'm aware of (I was thinking you had an internal PCI modem and wasn't paying attention to "I have a Zoom com port modem")...

Did you install the kubuntu-desktop package alongside Ubuntu, or separately? If the latter, you may just be missing a driver that was present in Ubuntu. Since the modem does work on the same hardware with Ubuntu, double-check it's got a good connection and try again; other than that - unless I think of something else - I can't help you further :P

Edit: What is your modem's serial number?
            The s/n is 0756-3049-00-04C2-0092. (Zoom 3049c V.92/V.90)

I did a reinstall from scratch last night, thinking maybe the modem was missed during the hardware detection stage, but no change. Still not found.

Comment

I dunno' dude; I've searched everything I could think of and only found 2 results: the modem either just works on Linux or it needs to be networked through a Window$ host...

There doesn't seem to be a Linux driver available for download, so there must be some Kernel magic going on - do you know what kernel you were running on Ubuntu vs. Kubuntu?  Sometimes (as you probably know) hardware that worked on one kernel won't on another; thus the reason they leave old kernels intact when they are updated. 

Also, if you can be a little patient, Hardy is scheduled for release by the end of next week.  I personally haven't been very impressed with Gutsy, but have been happily using Hardy since the alpha5 and can vouch that it brings much better hardware support.
              Asus G1S-X3:

Comment

I dunno' dude; I've searched everything I could think of and only found 2 results: the modem either just works on Linux or it needs to be networked through a Window$ host...

There doesn't seem to be a Linux driver available for download, so there must be some Kernel magic going on - do you know what kernel you were running on Ubuntu vs. Kubuntu? Sometimes (as you probably know) hardware that worked on one kernel won't on another; thus the reason they leave old kernels intact when they are updated.

Also, if you can be a little patient, Hardy is scheduled for release by the end of next week. I personally haven't been very impressed with Gutsy, but have been happily using Hardy since the alpha5 and can vouch that it brings much better hardware support.
                Okay, thanks for trying. 8) I thought KUbuntu 7.1 had exactly the same kernel as Ubuntu 7.1, but maybe there are some version differences that I missed.

I decided to give Mandriva 2008 a try. It sees the modem, but now it doesn't like my m/b's built-in sound, as THAT's not working now. Arghhh! Two things I can't live without if I going to move away from Windows Xcrap - sound and dial-up internet.

I downloaded the ISO for KUbuntu 8.04 beta. Since it has a live CD option, I'll boot with it and see if the problem is fixed in the latest version.

Cheers!

Comment

Hey - - Zoom 56 external serial modems work fine in Kubuntu 6.06 and 7.10. I have two systems at the house that use these in both OS's (along with Mandriva)

See if you have a /etc/resolv.conf file in your system. If not create it and leave it blank. I can't recall at the moment, but you may have to use the 'setserial' command.

I know there is a trick to making them work, but it's been over a year, so I have to wade back through my memory to recall what I did. It's a simple item.

Do a search on external modems. May see what the trick was. For a home system using 'Damned Slow Dialup', I prefer the externals. I buy every one I see at garage sales.

Comment

Originally posted by yulester
                    Hey - - Zoom 56 external serial modems work fine in Kubuntu 6.06 and 7.10. I have two systems at the house that use these in both OS's (along with Mandriva)

See if you have a /etc/resolv.conf file in your system. If not create it and leave it blank. I can't recall at the moment, but you may have to use the 'setserial' command.

I know there is a trick to making them work, but it's been over a year, so I have to wade back through my memory to recall what I did. It's a simple item.

Do a search on external modems. May see what the trick was. For a home system using 'Damned Slow Dialup', I prefer the externals. I buy every one I see at garage sales.
                    Still no luck. I used touch to create the file, then tried using wvdial, as I've used that with Ubuntu. wvdialconf appears to carry out with no errors and I put the basic account details in wvdial.conf, but when trying to run wvdial to start the connection, it says unable to open the modem - even though it appeared to find it earlier.

Comment

Kubuntu - -I never had much luck with wvdial. I've always used Kppp with no problems. See what the modem is set. I usually get a connection under dev/modem but have seen ttyso1 (sp) in the past.

I'll have to get back to you on what I have in my machines at home. Damned Slow Dialup was 'Down' most of the weekend. Gotta love Verizon.

Comment

Originally posted by yulester
                        Kubuntu - -I never had much luck with wvdial. I've always used Kppp with no problems. See what the modem is set. I usually get a connection under dev/modem but have seen ttyso1 (sp) in the past.

I'll have to get back to you on what I have in my machines at home. Damned Slow Dialup was 'Down' most of the weekend. Gotta love Verizon.
                        Thanks for the replies, all, but I've given up on Kubuntu. Maybe in a future release, they'll fix what they broke in this one.

Tom

Comment

Most likely not.

From what I've noticed in other Distro's, the old dialup modem is not updated. They seem to be concentrating on DSL, Cable, and wireless.

Send me a message with your email address, I'll get you mine at home. It will prod me to go through my setttings on my 7.10 installs for the dialup modems.

Comment

Working...
                          X