This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: trouble with internet connection

I believe that may have done the trick. At least this first reboot connected almost instantly. My network settings shows the system as connected throught eth0. Thanks so much for the help in working through this. I learned a lot. I am confident that this resolved my network connection problems.

Comment

Awesome, glad to hear.
      Kubuntu user?&nbsp; http://kubuntuway.net<br />Do you own reptiles? Click here http://redtailconnect.net

Comment

I may have spoken too soon. I just booted the system and this time it failed to connect. I tried sudo ifdown and up with no success. sudo ifup eth0 gave me a message about a pid file already exists. I have no idea what that means.

Comment

Dual boot system. Just booted to WinXP and then back to Kubuntu 7.10 and now I am connected. Will watch it for a while and see what happens.

Comment

This is sort of bizarre. It appears that to get a connection in Kubuntu on my dual boot machine I have to first establish a connection in Winxp, exit, and then boot Kubuntu. If I boot Kubuntu first I don't get a connection. I have tried it about three times today. Probably not enough for proof but I will continue watching. Could that be possible?

Comment

Ok, I know I have the MAC of the onboard LAN configured correctly. I booted again with no connection after checking for the address in Windows. But, I was able to get the connection up and running with a:

Code:
              sudo ifdown eth0
              sudo ifup eth0
              That did the trick. Now let's see if it persists.

Comment

I think this might be progress but not sure.
                Code:
                sudo ifup eth0
                Now produces the following and connects. I have to do this manually each time I boot Kubuntu:
                Code:
                Listening on LPF/eth0/00:0d:61:a5:b5:51
                Sending on  LPF/eth0/00:0d:61:a5:b5:51
                Sending on  Socket/fallback
                DHCPREQUEST on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67
                DHCPACK from 192.168.1.1
                bound to 192.168.1.100 -- renewal in 33399 seconds.
                That is progress isn't it? If I could just get it to connect automagically each time I boot I would be in business. Any ideas?

Comment

Ok, once again in business. After configuring the NIC to eth0 with the correct MAC and setting the network to connect when the computer starts all is well. Now, one more question, why isn't everyone using Kubuntu Linux. This is one sweet setup. I now have my laptop running Gutsy with WinXP in virtualbox. Hmmmm, Linux.

Comment

Working...
                  X