Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Power outage reset modem, now can't connect from Kubuntu but can in windows

i should mention that a couple of times during this process I went into network settings under system settings and looked to see what was in there. I re think I changed it once or twice to auto dhcp hoping it would pick up the right ip, but it didn't seem to help. I'm not really sure how to fix this ..

Comment

it's always best to test one thing at a time.
      otherwise you never know what does what.
      and for me (from here) it just makes things more complicated.

first you should rule out wall plugs and cabling issues.
      so, take your laptop where your desktop is.
      disconnect the desktop ethernet's cable.
      plug it in the laptop and see if you can connect to the internet.

if you can't, then use a different cable on the same plug.

if you still can't, then use a different plug with the original cable.

and so on and so forth.

one test, one variable.

now then...

the one thing that changed after the power cut is the configuration of your dsl router.
      that's what you had to reset and reconfigure, right?

you can of course have all the problems you mention.
      but your system does not behave as if you had anything like that.

one workaround to the eth0:avahi issue was to use a static ip address.
      and you had your kubuntu desktop setup with a static ip address when we started this.

the dhcp client message (No DHCPOFFERS received) could mean that your dsl router
      is not actually setup with dhcp.

you should check that or, alternatively, you should check /etc/network/interfaces
      and /etc/resolv.conf files on your kubuntu laptop.

if your interfaces file on the laptop assigns a static ip to eth0, then you should do the
      same on the desktop machine.

let me know.
      gnu/linux is not windoze

Comment

sorry I'm at work right now, but I can tell you this.

Earlier in this posting I checked my laptop through the same connection that my desktop is using and it worked with no problems. So the wiring is not an issue.

My router has to be set up for dhcp because I never configured it the first time, and both systems had connections to the internet without having to configure them manually either. It was like everything was set to defaults and when desktop and laptop were connected to the modem/router they just got IPs assigned to them from the pool of available IPs and they just worked fine.

Then the power went out (laptop was not connected at the time) and the desktop was powered on, running kubuntu and connected to the router (which was also on) and when I got home the modem/router had to be reset, and the desktop was no longer connecting to the internet but the laptop was.

So far I tried everything you listed with no luck, and even reinstalled the Operating System from scratch using the same install disk and configuration I used the first time (which resulted in a working connection) and did not get a working connection.

If I had my desktop set up with a static ip address when we first started this it was because I didn't know what I was doing and tried to fix the problem by changing settings in the system settings / network settings area of KDE.

But even after a fresh install it didn't work either. Doesn't Kubuntu default to a setting of waiting to have an IP assigned to it to connect to the internet through the modem/router? It seems that it worked that way before and works that way on the laptop.

I'm going to try to disable the onboard ethernet on my desktop tonight and install a PCI based NIC card in the desktop. Then I'm going to re-install kubuntu from scratch and see what happens.

I'll also check the settings on the laptop and post them here again for you, so you can tell me if the laptop is assigning its own IP or getting one from the Modem / Router.

Thanks for all your help on this ... Don't give up on me yet.

Comment

Hello,

I don't really have a solution to your problem but I thought you might feel better if you knew it's happened to someone else (me) too - take a look at this thread. I must say that eventually I had to reinstall the OS with a new Live CD and that did the trick.

I'll keep my fingers crossed.
          I break it, therefore I learn it.<br />

Comment

Thanks for the sympathy linuxgirl

GUESS WHAT!? I just installed a NIC Card in my system and disabled the onboard ethernet using the system BIOS, and restarted kubuntu. I have INTERNET

I knew it had to be the onboard ethernet that was down.

Anyways... thanks to jankushka for all the help. I'll update this thread to say solved.

now I just have to download all the updates and codecs and stuff.

Comment

Re: Power outage reset modem, now can't connect from Kubuntu [SOLVED]

well done.
              take care.

EDIT:
              would you be willing to run a last test for me, please?

a) take your laptop
              b) connect it point-to-point to your desktop (to the onboard nic)
              c) start both kubuntu and hit ctrl-alt-f1 at the kdm login
              d) log in at the console
              e) configure both eth0 manually like so:

laptop:
              Code:
              sudo -i
              ifdown eth0
              ifconfig eth0 up
              ifconfig eth0 address 192.168.1.10
              ifconfig eth0 netmask 255.255.255.0
              desktop (same as laptop, just a different ip):
              Code:
              sudo -i
              ifdown eth0
              ifconfig eth0 up
              ifconfig eth0 address 192.168.1.11
              ifconfig eth0 netmask 255.255.255.0
              then try to ping one from the other.
              for example from the laptop:
              Code:
              ping 192.168.1.11
              and see if the other replies...

thanks.
              this is just out of curiosity.
              gnu/linux is not windoze

Comment

Re: Power outage reset modem, now can't connect from Kubuntu [SOLVED]

Yay,

good to have you back!

I break it, therefore I learn it.<br />

Comment

Working...
                X