X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problems with iwl4965 drivers

Hi everyone ^^

I'm a kubuntu user since two or three months (I've installed it on my desktop pc and everything is working perfectly). But recently I bought a new toshiba laptop (x200 series) and I tried to install kubuntu on it as well. Everything is working ok, except wireless which is giving me some problems.

The laptop comes with a wireless card which is an Intel 4965ABG. Kubuntu already has for this chip the "iwl4965" driver. I use a router as gateway and I noticed that if I bring the laptop in the same room where the router is, internet works perfectly on kubuntu. But if I bring the laptop in the room (where it should stay) which is not far from the router, kubuntu says that it couldn't detect any wireless network! Only if I try to run "modprobe -r iwl4965" and then "modprobe iwl4965" a lot of times, I can only hope it will detect it.
    This is really weird, since on vista it detects the network without problems (and the signal is not low).

So I tried to follow the guide on ubuntu help forums, to install ndiswrapper drivers for it. But I don't know why, ndiswrapper runs iwl4965 which comes back with its problems.

What should I do?

Thanks in advance

Re: Problems with iwl4965 drivers

I have a 4965 chipset for the wireless in my HP laptop. I ended up having to build the driver from scratch from http://intellinuxwireless.org/. However it says on the site that Kernels >2.6.24 have the best iwlwifi driver included.

So you can build from scratch, or give Hardy a try.

Note, I built the driver from scratch in Gutsy, and upgraded to Hardy, so I am still using my build of the driver, not the version included with the kernel.
    HP dv2600: Core2 @ 2.2 GHz, 2GB RAM, GeForce-M 8400SE , Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy 32-bit<br />Gateway E4000: P4 @ 2.4GHz, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9200SE, Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy 32-bit<br />Averatec 2200: Turion64 @ 1.8GHz, 1GB RAM, Ubuntu Server 7.10 Gutsy 64-bit

Comment

Working...
    X