This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VNC / Proper Method to Connect Across Internet

What is the correct syntax to use when connecting to another Ubuntu machine across the internet when using Remote Desktop Connection?

For instance, I want to use Remote Desktop Connection to log in from my machine (running Kubuntu 7.10 and on Comcast) and connect and control another Ubuntu machine (running 6.06 LTS which is on Verizon DSL).

Do I use the same method of remote host ip (being the address Verizon assigned the machine)?

I'm just not sure how to make the connection across the internet.

Thanks.

Re: VNC / Proper Method to Connect Across Internet

First, I assume you mean VNC, not remote desktop, as there is no RDP server for Linux (that I am aware of...)

So, the questions I would have is, how are the 2 computers in question connected to the internet, are they done via a router, or directly connected to the cable modem?

If they have routers, you will need to set up port forwarding (which is different by brand/model of routers) on the host computer (the computer you want to control). I'll be happy to help you out with that if I can.

You will also need to know the public IP of the computer you want to control. Please note that this will not be the 192.168.x.x address that you may see with an ifconfig, that is the private address that you will use for port forwarding.

mm0
    Dell Inspiron 1720 Laptop<br />Intel T9300 Core2Duo Processor @ 2.5Ghz<br />4 GB Ram | 1920 X 1200 Resolution<br />2 X 160 GB SATA HD Internal<br />Nvidia GeForce 8600M Graphics Adapter<br />Using Kubuntu 9.10

Comment

Muzicman0,

Thanks for your reply. I appreciate it!

Sorry I wasn't clear... I did mean VNC.

The computer I want to connect to is directly connected to the DSL modem and I have the public IP of the computer.

The computer I will be connecting from is behind a router.

I hope this helps.

Thanks very much!

Comment

OK, assuming you have a VNC server set up on the computer you want to connect to, go to Kmenu(start)|Internet|krdc (I'm not at my computer, but I think it is krdc). enter vnc:/ip.of.computer:5900 in the box that pops up when you load the program.

If you don't have a VNC server on the computer you want to connect to, you can use the one built in to Kubuntu (I think it is krfb). Let me know if that works...

mm0
        Dell Inspiron 1720 Laptop<br />Intel T9300 Core2Duo Processor @ 2.5Ghz<br />4 GB Ram | 1920 X 1200 Resolution<br />2 X 160 GB SATA HD Internal<br />Nvidia GeForce 8600M Graphics Adapter<br />Using Kubuntu 9.10

Comment

It worked perfectly. Thanks very much!!!

Comment

Glad to hear it! Thanks for posting back.
            mm0

Comment

Oh, 1 more thing, keep in mind that the public IP of the computer will most likely change occasionally. You might want to look into no-ip.com or something similar, basically it is a redirections svc that tracks your public IP, and allows you to enter a customized URL that redirects to your IP. I use their free version on 2 different networks, and it works great...I'm just not sure they have a linux version of their software.
              mm0

Comment

Working...
              X