X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

su and wireless - getting nowhere

Hi

Just upgraded from Dapper to Gutsy via Feisty. Now Wireless does not work. At the same time "su" does not work in a console. I get an authentication error. In several days of meandering around the forums and googling, I seem to remember reading that Kwifimanager was linked to su and would not work if su was not working. Sudo is fine and my password gives me a root prompt. I don't seem to have the kdesurc file nor kdelibs on my system. Should they be there automatically?

With regard to the wireless, I do have ndiswrapper installed but my card does not see my router at all. Everything worked perfectly in Dapper but for the life of me, I can't remember what I did apart from installing ndiswrapper. It then just seemed to work. The laptop is a Dell Inspiron 1300 and the card a Broadcom 4318.

I feel that if I can solve the su problem, then Kwifimanager may do the rest. Sorry to mix up two problems here which may or may not be related but would greatuy appreciate your suggestions.

Re: su and wireless - getting nowhere

Originally posted by steveob
    ... "su" does not work in a console. I get an authentication error. ... Sudo is fine and my password gives me a root prompt.
    If you are trying to execute the su command as:
    Code:
    su -
    or
    su -l
    you will receive the "su: Authentication failure" after you type in your password. You want to execute the su command as:
    Code:
    su - username
    or
    Code:
    su -l username
    where username is your username you loggin with.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thanks Snowhog. Yes I can do that but the problem is that it is not automatic at start up like it was in Dapper. I get an error box on start up as follows:

No command arguments supplied
      Usage: kdesudo [-u <runas>] ,command>
      kdesudo will now exit

If I sudo kwifmanager I get the error message:

Cannot connect to X server

Yet if I start Kwifimanager from the K menu - Internet - Kwifimanager I get the GUI and click on "Scan for networks" and then get the error message "The scan is complete, but no networks have been found."

Any more suggestions gratefully received.

Comment

If you need to execute a GUI application from the command line, you don't use sudo command You use kdesu command instead.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
        X