X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samba ~ Win XP Permissions

Hello all, [See update below]

I have installed and configured Samba in Kubuntu 7.10, which is networked with my Windows XP Pro [pre SP1]. I can navigate to the shared HDD's, folders, and files on XP through Kubuntu.

When I click on a OOo document housed on XP, the OOo splash screen pops up in Kubuntu, and just when you would expect the document to appear, the splash screen disappears and the document does not present itself.

I am “assuming” this is do to the permissions settings on the XP system, although I have checked the 'Share this folder on the network;', and 'Allow network users to change my files', boxes for the shared folder the document is in, so I am under the impression the permissions are set correctly.

I have looked over the manpage for Samba, and nothing obvious jumped out at me.

What have I missed on one or both of the systems to cause this problem?

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

[Update]

I discovered by happenstance, that the files and / or folders need to be created within the shared folder on Windows XP Pro for them to be viewed, edited, and saved using Kubuntu. I do not recall in the documents I read, any of them stating this need to be done. Although you cannot execute a file, I don't foresee this to be a big deal in the future, unless someone feels otherwise.

So that pretty much solved my initial problem, but now the question is, how do I accomplish being able to view, edit, and save files on Windows XP Pro using Kubuntu, without having to recreate all of my files and folders on my backup drives, since just copying to the shared folder does not work?

Thanks once again.
    kubuntu 8.04 ~ 64bit<br />Pentium D ~ 3.4gig<br />4gig RAM<br />160gig HDD ~ x2<br />19&quot; Widescreen<br /><br />&quot;I must be a nice guy..........I always seem to finish last.&quot;

Re: Samba ~ Win XP Permissions

Maybe you can find some ideas in my thread on how I managed to fix these kind of problems?

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.php?topic=3088911.0

Comment

Working...
    X