X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Multiple address on eth0

Hi all,

I need to configure multiple static ip addres on eth0, like you can do on winzoz xp.
    Can someone help me please?

Thank you

Re: Multiple address on eth0

get yourself wicd, you can create different profiles for different IPS

ie i have 'lan - static', 'wan - dchp'

Using:<br />Mint Kubuntu 7.10 (kde4 dual core 2.2ghz 4gb)<br />Freenas (nx6325 hp laptop)<br />Mint Gnome 7.10 (EEE Pc 4g white 1 gb ram)

Comment

I'll check just for curiosity what you said to me, meanwhile I found this interesting document and I've been able to configure correctly all my address tied to a single network board.

Comment

Originally posted by eggbanjo

What are the advantages of wicd over, or compared to, knetworkmanager??

I read the web page you directed me to on another thread. It looks like wicd is doing the same thing as networkmanager and knetworkmanager, but it also looked like it was having problems working under KDE, specifically the icons took some extra work to get to display.

Also, there is some mention of what to do if wicd doesn't install properly and you have to re-install (k)networkmanager.

All of that makes me nervous to install something that may not work under KDE "out of the box".

wicd still isn't in the kubuntu repositories so I'm hesitant to un-install networkmanager for wicd. I have one computer networked with access to the internet, so if wicd doesn't work, I will probably have to re-install Kubuntu from the Live CD! and then re-install everything I have spent the past 2 weeks installing to get a working install.

That makes me very nervous.

You seem to be sold on wicd, but why should I try it??

Comment

i used Knetwork for ages, but found that as soon as i did 'manual' config on the adapters it lost all my wireless settings. also found it was hard to set profiles for the same adapters ie wired static and wired dchp on the same adapter.
          Ive used WICD now on 3 of my kubuntu boxes (2 laptops 1 desktop) and found that switching between static/dchp and different wireless ssids to be a lot easier.
          It installed out of the box and have no issues with it at all.
          Using:<br />Mint Kubuntu 7.10 (kde4 dual core 2.2ghz 4gb)<br />Freenas (nx6325 hp laptop)<br />Mint Gnome 7.10 (EEE Pc 4g white 1 gb ram)

Comment

Originally posted by Dyliak
            Hi all,

I need to configure multiple static ip addres on eth0, like you can do on winzoz xp.
            Can someone help me please?

Thank you
            If your eth0 current setup is static, you can copy its entire section in "/etc/network/interfaces" and make the proper changes, that is:

Code:
            auto eth0
              iface eth0 inet static
              address 10.1.1.1
              netmask 255.255.255.0

"Aliasing" eth0:

Code:
            auto eth0:1
              iface eth0:1 inet static
              address 192.168.0.1
              netmask 255.255.255.0
            And so on...

Comment

Originally posted by geezer

I read the web page you directed me to on another thread. It looks like wicd is doing the same thing as networkmanager and knetworkmanager, but it also looked like it was having problems working under KDE, specifically the icons took some extra work to get to display.

Also, there is some mention of what to do if wicd doesn't install properly and you have to re-install (k)networkmanager.

All of that makes me nervous to install something that may not work under KDE "out of the box".

wicd still isn't in the kubuntu repositories so I'm hesitant to un-install networkmanager for wicd. I have one computer networked with access to the internet, so if wicd doesn't work, I will probably have to re-install Kubuntu from the Live CD! and then re-install everything I have spent the past 2 weeks installing to get a working install.

First, wicd simply works, consistently. Do a search on knetworkmanager. I rest my case. wicd is under active development, k/networkmanager doesn't seem to be as recurring problems don't seem to be getting attention. wicd is a bit fiddly to get the icon in the systray (if you even want that, i do) but other than that, it just works like a champ with no bs. It works with wep, wpa, etc although I don't use those.

Do what makes you comfortable. I can tell you that I will no longer respond to issues with k/networkmanager as it is a waste of time. There are folks who will, but many will answer one time, as I do, "switch to wicd". Life's too short to fool with an unmaintained application that is critical to a working system. Good luck.

Comment

First, wicd simply works, consistently.
                Very nicely put, i too have found myself just saying 'use wicd'. granted its not a helpful suggestion just offering an alternative rather than a fix, but in this case i believe it is the best option

Comment

Originally posted by lingenfr
                  Originally posted by geezer

First, wicd simply works, consistently. Do a search on knetworkmanager. I rest my case. wicd is under active development, k/networkmanager doesn't seem to be as recurring problems don't seem to be getting attention. wicd is a bit fiddly to get the icon in the systray (if you even want that, i do) but other than that, it just works like a champ with no bs. It works with wep, wpa, etc although I don't use those.

Do what makes you comfortable. I can tell you that I will no longer respond to issues with k/networkmanager as it is a waste of time. There are folks who will, but many will answer one time, as I do, "switch to wicd". Life's too short to fool with an unmaintained application that is critical to a working system. Good luck.
                  By the way _ installed wicd. Yes it works, but I get no network information like I did under knetworkmanager and the tray icon is there sometimes and most of the times not. So I'm left wondering if wicd is really working or not. And yes I followed the directions on getting the tray icon on the taskbar - do you really expect people to do that on every boot?? So I cannot really see any difference between knetworkmanager and wicd at this point. knetworkmanager reported that the ethernet connection wasn't there, but when I opened the networkmanager window it was there and working and networking worked through the thernet. wicd doesn't report anything and networking works. So what's the difference?

Okay - now that you have said the above, why not work to getting wicd into the (K)ubuntu repository instead of hanging off in some unknown repository. If wicd was in the mainstream repositories, then the user could choose which to install when things get installed.

If wicd is under development and being maintained and knetworkmanager isn't, why is knetworkmanager the one being pushed by the Ubuntu people as the default interface/manager?? Inertia !?!?

Why can't you get that changed instead of blowing off people who know nothing about network managment and go with the default options. By blowing off the people who go with the default options you are just leaving them hanging and thinking that (K)ubuntu just doesn't work. So instead of getting tired answering questions on the s/w that gets installed, work to get the installed s/w changed. Seems like a better strategy.

Also, under wicd, when I boot and KDE starts, wicd opens a dialog window asking for my logon password to access the network cards (maybe not the exact wording, but you get the idea). That gets rather irritating - why bother with that? Is accessing the network card something that really requires a password?? If knetworkmanager was so bad, why didn't it require the password??

Comment

a) password - the password is actually for kwallet i bet, its a password storage device, simply turn it off (right click on the wallet in the taskbar and it wont bother you again.
                    b) as for network info - get yourself 'kwavecontrol' a tidy little program that sits in the taskbar and shows you strengths/ssid/ips of the net you are connected to. Or do as i have and build/download a superkaramba theme that will show all your netinfo.

Comment

a) password - the password is actually for kwallet i bet, its a password storage device, simply turn it off (right click on the wallet in the taskbar and it wont bother you again.
                      b) as for network info - get yourself 'kwavecontrol' a tidy little program that sits in the taskbar and shows you strengths/ssid/ips of the net you are connected to. Or do as i have and build/download a superkaramba theme that will show all your netinfo.
                      found gkrellm - that shows the traffic over the ethernet connection (and a lot more). The ethernet traffic is what I was really interested in and gkrellm is great at displaying that - it makes it easy to periodically check while a big download or other activity is happening at some web site that isn't too good about reporting what it is doing.

Comment

I'm using gkrellm. I like it. Does what I want. Simple to configure.
                        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

im using superK, nicer to look at and unlimited config possibilities

Comment

Working...
                          X