Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Again with the SiS191 Ethernet Card (trying to solve)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Again with the SiS191 Ethernet Card (trying to solve)

OK, I know that the SiS191 Ethernet Card is spoke a lot.

But I have a problem in addition to that.

The manufacturer of my PC doesn't have drivers for this network card, and the SiS ones doesn't work, so, I can forget the idea of using ndsiwrapper (is that how it is written?).

I almost got there trough recompiling a module. I searched a lot and on the Ubuntu Forums I found some instructions about the sis190.c file and so on.

But, after going trough the hell of finding a place for downloading the kernel source, I couldn't find that file on that.

I know how to identify the problem by doing on the terminal:
    Code:
    lspci|grep ISA
    That returns:
    Code:
    00:02.0 ISA bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] ... and so on
    I know that then I must put that first number in the following comand:
    Code:
    lspci -n|grep 00:02.0
    That will return something like this:

Code:
    00:02.0 0601: somenumber:theimportantnumber (rev 01)
    I know that the important number (4 digit) is diferent on the source and I have to recompile it, but I don't know how to get to the source without net and where to find the sis191.c file for recompile (neither I know how to recompile it).

Can somebody help me?

(And by the way? Is there any way of making the kernel detect that number and use it automatically? If there is, why wasn't still used in the some kernel? Just trying to help...)

I may have found a solution. See below.

Re: Again with the SiS191 Ethernet Card

thinking this isn't solved yet...

apparently there's no solution for this...possibly there is, but it needs lots of work and an average linux user can't be able to do it.

i have had this problem also,. i consulted people everywhere, and even the wizards of sidux. the best solution for this is buy a PCI network card. that's it, it will wash away your worries for sure...

Comment

Re: Again with the SiS191 Ethernet Card -- Trying to solve it

I'm trying to solve it (for me). As you can see in here, there's some complications. But I'll try to solve it by using a VM, and then installing the compiled driver on the real thing.

And a friend said that to me. I just don't do it as the PC is still on warranty.

Comment

Working...
      X