This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I tend to break KNetworkManager...

I've re-installed Kubuntu about 4 times now on a Sony Vaio VGN-TX73B, and the main reason is that I found some way to break KNetworkManager. The first time, I was upgrading from Feisty to Gutsy, the second time from installing KDE 4, once from tweaking settings (that I think had nothing to do with KNetworkManager), and most recently after re-instally Kubuntu once again after re-installing after that.

The first few times were completely out of the blue, but I think I understand why it broke this most recent time. My school's internet's a little wonky at times, and I got impatient when the wireless refused to connect, and I told KNetworkManager to switch to the wired ethernet, and even then it was too slow. But when I quit and restarted the process, it no longer detected my network hardware. It said that it detected no devices, but the hardware (eth0 and eth1) was still listed.

Now, my question is, is there some simple fix to this, so I don't have to be extra delicate with KNetworkManager or re-install Kubuntu every time this happens, in case I ever break KNetworkManager again?

Re: I tend to break KNetworkManager...

i found that i too was constantly breaking a very fragile k/manager too, try WICD (google for it). its the only network manager i need now, working over 3 different computers its a joy after using k/manager
    Using:<br />Mint Kubuntu 7.10 (kde4 dual core 2.2ghz 4gb)<br />Freenas (nx6325 hp laptop)<br />Mint Gnome 7.10 (EEE Pc 4g white 1 gb ram)

Comment

http://wicd.sourceforge.net

Comment

Interesting. I'll look into it myself.

Comment

Working...
        X