This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wireless on Acer 5002 (Broadcom 3418) -need assistance

Cannot get wireless light "on" on the laptop, Gutsy running *Konqueror running on wired internet.
    e mail
    0%
    PM
    0%

Re: Wireless on Acer 5002 (Broadcom 3418) -need assistance

If you execute the following command you can find out which Broadcom device you have.

lspci -v | grep Broadcom

If you follow these instructions, you should be in good shape.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wi...eisty_No-Fluff

Unless you are using wpa, don't complete the last command in Step 3.

DO NOT COMPILE NDISWRAPPER FROM SOURCE. If the instructions don't work, that is not the problem. Follow the instructions to the letter and I will be glad to assist you further if that doesn't work for you. Post any errors.

Hopefully your computer also has a wired connection that you can use to download. If not, you will need the alternate CD or better yet the DVD. Once you get connected, I would suggest that you replace k/networkmanager with wicd. You will save yourself a lot of heartache and frustration. You can find more info here:

http://wicd.sourceforge.net/download.php

Make sure you read and follow the directions on that page and follow the link to get the systray icon working. Good luck.

Comment

I'm not fully sure what you mean, but I'm using an Acer 5002WLMi. I managed to get everythign working on it (from the modem in both data and fax modes, to using platform ACPI suspend and power states). In fact, everything work's better with Kubuntu then it ever did with Windoze.

At anyrate, I'm getting off topic now - I'm using ndiswrapper with Acer's 3000/5000 Broadcom XP driver I retrieved off their website. My wireless light blinks with wireless activity unlike in Windows where it stays on solid unless switched off. I admit I found that distracting at first, but I actually now prefer it as it give me an indication when the computer is actively sending and receiving network packets on the wireless adapter. This can be easily be changed though if you would prefer it to stay on. In Acer's package, their actually is two drivers - one does the blinking light with network activity, the other causes the light to stay on when the wireless adapter is in active mode. Just switch over to the other driver to eliminate the blinky activity light.

Comment

Is that a mistype, 3418, or did you mean 4318.

The supplied XP drivers did not work for me (compaq laptop) but did a bit of searching and got some. Sending you a PM with my email if you want them.

Comment

Working...
        X