This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu 7.10 wireless not working.

I'm currently running Kubuntu 7.10 LiveCD. I am able to access the internet only when I plug in directly to the router. It appears that the driver for my wireless hardware is present, but for some reason I can't enable it via the Kubuntu desktop. I suspect that I may have configured it improperly. I have a linksys router (that's also my SSID). Under my windows config info it says that the connection is unsecured. Does that mean that I don't have a WEP key? I've left that field blank, and I wonder if that's the problem. I've also tried to logon onto 192.168.1.1 for further info, but have been unable to do so. I'm not sure if this problem is Kubuntu specific or not, but thanks for any feedback.

Here is my info

Processor AMD Turion™ 64 Mobile Technology ML-34
    Operates at 1.8 GHz | 1 MB L2 Cache
    HyperTransport™ technology at up to 1600 MHz
    Screen 15.4-inch Widescreen Ultrabright WXGA TFT
    Chipset ATI Radeon® Xpress 200M Chipset (RS482M)
    Memory 1024 MB DDR 333 MHz (2 × 512) PC2700
    Expandable to 2 GB
    Total Slots: 2 DDR2 Slots | Available Slots: 0 DDR2 Slots
    Video ATI Radeon® Xpress 200M Integrated Chipset with Radeon® X300 Based Integrated Graphics
    64 MB shared video memory
    Audio AC '97 2.3 Compliant Audio
    Built-in speakers
    Hard Drive 120 GB hard drive (4200 RPM)
    Optical Drive DVD+/-RW Multi-Format Double Layer (up to 8.5 GB)
    Write maximum: 8X DVD +/-R, 6X DVD-RW, 8X DVD+RW, 2X DVD-R DL, 2.4X DVD+R DL, 24X CD-R and 16X CD-RW
    Read maximum: 24X CD-R/RW/ROM, 8X DVD-R/RW/ROM, 4X DVD+/-R DL, RAM

Media Reader 4-in-1 Digital Media Manager
    Secure Digital (SD), Memory Stick, Memory Stick-Pro, and Multimedia card (MMC)
    Modem 56K ITU V.92 ready Fax/Modem
    Network 10/100 Mbps built-in Ethernet
    802.11g Wireless LAN (up to 54 Mbps)
    SecureEasySetup™, 125 High Speed Mode
    Interfaces 4 - USB 2.0 Ports
    1 - VGA External Connector
    1 - IEEE 1394 port
    1 - RJ11
    1 - RJ45
    Microphone In
    Headphone / Audio Out

Pointing Device Touchpad with Vertical Scroll Zone
    PCMCIA 1 - Type I or Type II; Card Bus
    Battery 6-cell Lithium-ion

Re: Kubuntu 7.10 wireless not working.

Go to "KMenu -> System Settings -> Network Settings -> Administrator Mode (button on the bottom-right-hand side of the window)" and see if the device is detected; if it is, click it and choose "Configure Device". Check the "Auto: dhcp" option and click OK. Then, click the "Enable Device" button and see if it connects.
    Asus G1S-X3:
    Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

Originally posted by integr8e
      Go to "KMenu -> System Settings -> Network Settings -> Administrator Mode (button on the bottom-right-hand side of the window)" and see if the device is detected; if it is, click it and choose "Configure Device". Check the "Auto: dhcp" option and click OK. Then, click the "Enable Device" button and see if it connects.
      Yes, I was able to do that. However, when I click on the "Enable Device" button, it won't connect. The green arrow stays on the ethernet connect, instead of moving over to the wireless one.

I have been able to determine that I have the proper SSID configuered in the wireless settings. Furthermore, I've discovered that security for my router is currently disabled, so I'm assuming that means that I don't need a WEP key (please correct my if I'm wrong).

At the moment, I'm logged in XP so I can't see my settings, but I'm wondering what other fields I could have entered incorrect information on. To me, the outstanding items were the SSID and the WEP, which as I've said, seem to be correct. Perhaps I missing something else. I must be.

Comment

So I've been working with the following page: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wi...ndiswrapper%29

I've been able to successfully execute most of the commands, with the exception of one:

Check the contents of the /etc/iftab file and make sure that no other device has the wlan0 driver name reserved for it:

user@ubuntu:~$ cat /etc/iftab

I cannot find this file anywhere on the LiveCD that I'm working from (Gutsy 7.10).

Does this file exist on this version of Kubuntu?

Comment

File exists on my Feisty install. But you are running from the LiveCD. Open a console (terminal) and type:
          Code:
          find -name iftab
          (you might need to use sudo find -name iftab)

If it is present within the LiveCD environment, it will be found.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
            File exists on my Feisty install. But you are running from the LiveCD. Open a console (terminal) and type:
            Code:
            find -name iftab
            (you might need to use sudo find -name iftab)

If it is present within the LiveCD environment, it will be found.
            It's not there. Just to make sure I was using the find command correctly, I searched for 'opt' and was returned several results.

I tried creating /etc/iftab (based on the information posted on the ubuntu link above) with no result. iwconfig still showed that I didn't have an ESSID or a mac address (and that's after installing ndiswrapper and the bcml5a.inf driver)

Why would my LiveCD not contain this file? I'm tempted actually install it on my hard drive if nothing else just to increase speed. I also wonder if that file would appear if I did. Plus it's getting to be a real drag starting from scracth every single time.

Thanks, Snowhog for your help on this.

Comment

Working...
            X