This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Out of the box" using LiveCD

I decided to try another experiment. I'm posting this using my wireless connection. The device is a Belkin USB adapter. Previously, I had all sorts of problems trying to configure this device in (Kubuntu) Feisty although it did initially connect. However, somehow, the KNetwork Manager was 'broken' or I could not connect using any WPA options. I was only given WEP options. I don't know how to describe this event but does anyone recognize this experience or occurrence? I really don't understand what happened but because of all the difficulties, I decided to give up on wireless rather than search for a solution using some elaborate command line step-by-step method (which I thought I would need). I also wanted to avoid ndiswrapper as my chipset and device is supported (Zydas and zd1211b).

Okay, so I burn a Live CD of Gutsy and stick it in. The KNetwork Manager seems to be set up much better this time around and I am able to connect to wireless after I figure out how to get the app to ask me for a password. I already had the router settings set up properly as I have been able to connect with an Ubuntu Feisty Live CD (using WPA).

So, what is going on and what did I do to break the KNetwork Manager application? I can't obtain an option to configure for WPA in my current installation of Kubuntu 7.04. Yet, I try these Live CDs and they work. I thought it had to do something with KDE network apps and I still may have something there but in Kubuntu Gutsy, it works 'out of the box.' (so far). If it is this easy, I would be pleasantly surprised and satisfied and although I fear there would be subsequent problems later, it is still a decent result. I would now like to install Kubuntu 7.10 but I am a newbie with using partitions especially when it comes to moving files around and installing a new distro on top of an old one. I'd rather install a fresh distro instead of updating (the kernel etc.).

I'm particularly curious how the KNetwork Manager got 'broken' or somehow had no more options for WPA, though. I hope that doesn't happen with a new Gutsy install. But, it is encouraging to see I might still have Kubuntu as an option since wireless is important to me. I didn't want to have to choose a Gnome-distro just because of that but I really want wireless!

Anyway, if anyone has experience with both distros or knows how the various KDE network managers (in particular, KNetwork Manager) can 'break' or lose options for WPA, please let me know! I've been trying to figure out what happened with my Kubuntu Feisty install for a while now! :-)

Re: "Out of the box" using LiveCD

FYI (for who cares), I tried to boot up again and this time, I (accidentally) selected a wireless account that was present but not my own. After I tried to switch, I could not connect to wireless as before (with the previous process). I went back to the same situation as if it was 'broken' and the system does not recognize the wireless account (and adapter?) anymore. I rebooted and tried again by selecting my signal/point and everything worked properly with an easy connection.

So, changing anything is breaking the ability to connect and somehow is 'removing' (?) wpa options? Can anyone explain this? I am guessing this is what happened with my Fiesty install. KNetwork Manager is buggy or something else? It works fine as long as you don't make a mistake and connect to the wrong wireless acount. :-/ If I do, I lose the ability to properly configure.

It's even configured to eth1 as well. But, make a mistake or have it in the mode in which it won't connect properly, it starts showing the wireless connection in System Settings/Network as eth2.

Comment

I
      would now like to install Kubuntu 7.10 but I am a newbie with using partitions especially when it comes to moving files around and installing a new distro on top of an old one. I'd rather install a fresh distro instead of updating (the kernel etc.).
      That is simple. Just format the partition you want to install your new Kubuntu to. That will get rid of your old one and let you install the new one. You can do this by choosing manual partitioning during installation.

For more on partitioning have a look here:
      http://gparted.sourceforge.net/documentation.php

As for you knetwork and wpa issues I would do a search here (in this forum) for WPA you should get about 10 pages of responses. Hopefully one of them will something useful for you.
      As I don't use wireless I can't be of more help. sorry
      HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
      4 GB Ram
      Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Thanks, Fintan, for your comments and help.

I installed Kubuntu 7.10 and the wireless works so far. I think this chipset is decent so far. No need for ndiswrapper or anything like that. I'm crossing my fingers that it continues to work. I wish the speed was a bit higher. It is showing 24 Mb/s.

Comment

Working...
        X