This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[WIRED] gutsy/feisty file sharing broken? [RESOLVED]

I have a desktop (my 'main' machine) running feisty, and a laptop (to experiment with) that used to run feisty as well. Both are hard-wired through a hub.

ssh has always worked, but I could never get file sharing to work. Elsewhere in these fora I was pointed to
    <http://littlergirl.googlepages.com/NFSForIdiots.html>
    which worked just fine and I was a happy camper :-)

A couple of days ago I decided to jump laptop into gutsy and followed
    <https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Gu...40bf791c42f52>
    to do so. I had some issues, but in the end all seemed to have worked- even my shared printer.

Until I tried the file sharing, which is now kacked. I went back through the NFSForIdiots instructions, line by line, and everything is as it should be (and as it was when it was working feisty-to-feisty).

From the laptop, when I try <sudo mount /home/desktop/shared> the error says:
    mount.nfs: 192.168.1.57 (desktop ip): home/desktop failed, reason given by server: Permission denied

On the feisty desktop in Konqueror, Properties for the disk-drive-attached-to-a-pipe icon Shared folder says it's an unmounted NFS share. When I click on the Mount choice, it says permission denied, and then the Mount choice disappears from the menu

From the desktop, when I try < sudo mount /home/laptop/shared> the error says:
    mount to NFS server '192.168.1.23(laptop ip)' failed: server is down.

I have run all the restart commands in NFSForIdiots several times, with no change to this.

On the gutsy laptop in Dolphin Properties for the blue-folder-with-a-red-plug Shared folder says it's a shared folder.

Both have 'share this folder in the local network' checked, and 'share with nfs'
    Both have all permission boxes checked

any ideas on what to try next?
    WE&#39;RE ALL BETTER OFF WHEN WE&#39;RE ALL BETTER OFF<br />User # 17645

Re: [WIRED] gutsy/feisty file sharing broken? [RESOLVED]

hate to say this but ... thank you, Mr XP ...
    as in the XP laptop I also have on my network ...
    because when I fired it up for something else, it flagged me a "two computers on the network with the same ip address" error

thinking one of the kids (or worse, SWMBO) had been diddling about, I scurried around the abode looking for the offending machine (aka making the ip address list I've been promising myself)

only to find that, for whatever reason (it was certainly _not_ changed by me ...) when I did the gutsy upgrade its ip was changed from 23 to 69- the same as the XP laptop

reran the NFSForidiots stuff again just to make sure nothing else was amiss, and voila- it's all back file-sharing again.

never trust a computer ...
    WE&#39;RE ALL BETTER OFF WHEN WE&#39;RE ALL BETTER OFF<br />User # 17645

Comment

Working...
    X