This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samba via System Settings

I have been running Freespire 2.0 (fiesty-fawn) on several PCs for a while and I have just installed gusty tribe 5 on a ACER laptop running a usb dlink wireless modem. It is running great! Question I had is there an easy way to get to the samba settings rather than editing the smb.conf file? When I try to connect via FS or XP to the share I get an authentication error.

Re: Samba via System Settings

Samba is not in the System Settings app, nor is there away to put it there yourself. However, the kind people who devolved this distro left kcontrol (the original control center of KDE) in tact. It offers full (or mostly full I haven't really compared) access to samba configuration options. You can add it to your kmenu, or you can use the settings applet on you panel, which is what I do. Optionally you can also simply run it with the run window, hit 'Alt+F2' and type kcontrol. I hope this helps you.

Comment

Thank You, it worked just fine. I just added it as an additional menu item.

Comment

Originally posted by JediJames

It offers full (or mostly full I haven't really compared) access to samba configuration options. You can add it to your kmenu, or you can use the settings applet on you panel, which is what I do.
        I didn't know that --- that's great, I was looking for a better way to manage Samba! Thanks!

Comment

Yeah, dible, see even you can learn I put kcontrol in my tasty menu. But you still have to install samba.
          HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
          4 GB Ram
          Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Anytime you use the kcontrol samba module be sure and check your smb.conf file to make sure the msdfs proxy = no bug didn't creep in.

Comment

Originally posted by Fintan

But you still have to install samba.
              Yeah, I've got lots to learn, as they say .... I really can't use Samba until they cough up a VMWare Player that will work in Gutsy. "Hurry up and wait", as they say! :P

Comment

Originally posted by Detonate
                Anytime you use the kcontrol samba module be sure and check your smb.conf file to make sure the msdfs proxy = no bug didn't creep in.
                Ditto that.

Personally I haven't touched it yet as my manuall smb.config works but I might just try it over the weekend and see if that bug is still alive in gutsy.
                4 GB Ram
                Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

I tried this evening. msdfs proxy = no seems to have been killed.

I am having a different samba issue that I will post here if I can or can't fix it.
                  4 GB Ram
                  Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Working...
                  X