This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu Gutsy offline?? [Not really solved]

After restarting my machine this morning I noticed that my Kubuntu gutsy tribe 3 (updated 'till yesterday) refused to go online. I couldn't ping anything at all outside of my box. The last update was yesterday or saturday and included only busy-box.

My other instances of linux ubuntu gutsy tribe 3 (updated yesterday), pclinux, mint KDE cassandra (feisty) connect just fine.

I use a normal ethernet card which has never had problems with any OS of any flavor.

Has anybody else noticed this and are there any ideas floating around?

Cheers
    Fintan
    HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
    4 GB Ram
    Kubuntu 18.10

Re: Kubuntu Gutsy offline??

Can't say I've experienced any problems.

As a quick test, you might want to boot from a live CD just to make sure your NIC didn't die. At least that way you'll be sure not to chase your tail over a hardware issue.

-J
    Specs:  Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (@3Ghz), G.SKILL 4GB DDR2 1066, ASUS Striker II Formula MB, Asus EN9800GTX+ Dark Knight, ABS Tagan BZ800 PS, Antec 900 Case.

Comment

Thanks for the reply but my Hardware is fine at least in all my other OS installations.
      4 GB Ram
      Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

When running off the latest kernel my Gutsy is also offline. I might try booting from a live CD for Gutsy eventually, but I really don't get it. My hardware also worked flawlessly in Feisty.

Comment

It is quite possible that the gutsy repos are in fact 'off line' for some reason.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I am not talking about the repos I am talking about the installation of the OS.
            4 GB Ram
            Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Well that's interesting! Does the installation try to connect to the Internet and the repos during any part of the installation? I can't remember in my installation (Feisty), but I don't think it did.

Comment

No gutsy is already installed:

After restarting my machine this morning I noticed that my Kubuntu gutsy tribe 3 (updated 'till yesterday) refused to go online. I couldn't ping anything at all outside of my box. The last update was yesterday or saturday and included only busy-box.
                And actually, eventhough this doesn't apply to this issue, yes any ubuntu will go online during install if you are using a language pack other than english.
                4 GB Ram
                Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Hmm. Okay, serves me right. :P I should have read the 'complete' thread before opening mouth.

Comment

Re: Kubuntu Gutsy offline?'

Okay I think I have this one beat. Previousely I had told knetworkmanager not to start automatically at boot because it was always putting an icon in my tray saying that my connection was down even though the connection was just fine. Well I don't have a wifi card so I fugured FY. That aparently was a mistake.
                    I then went into kcontrol->network&internet->networkconfiguration and although my card was seen and active I deactivated and reactivated it. This is something I was used to doing in windows but NOT in Linux.
                    Anyway it worked so Gutsy is online again

I still don't know what to make of this.
                    4 GB Ram
                    Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Re: Kubuntu Gutsy offline?? [Not really solved]

Well I thought I had it beat. so much for feet in mouth :P

Every second or third reboot (there is no precise pattern) I have to deactivate and reactivate the network card to get online again.

Any ideas??
                      4 GB Ram
                      Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Fintan, I don't know if this is related, but since Gutsy Tribe 4 and now 5, I have a very similar problem in that at start up Kmanager is not connecting to the internet. It was fine before this, Windows Vista connects okay (dual booting with Vista) and funnily enough, all I have to do to re-connect is this....
                        Go into manual settings, select the settings (but not alter them in any way!) then select 'apply' then the connection is made! or if that doesn't enable the connection, go into settings, select 'offline' then go back in and select 'online' and it re-cponnects! So something has changed with Knetwork manager, and you could have downloaded the update which is causing my connection problems despite not running Tribe 4 or 5.
                        My set up is a nVidia MCPSI Ethernet controller, and just to test it, I have tried other distro's and they connect fine. Also I didn't have a problem in Kubuntu GG until Tribe 4. (I know this is no help to you personally but just trying to shine some light on it.)

TG

Comment

Thanks TG.
                          Actually my GG is Tribe 3 upgraded until today so technically it is T 5.

And you are right the problems started with the upgrade to T 4.

I'll have a look at launchpad.
                          4 GB Ram
                          Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Just try this Fintan, right click on the connection icon on the kicker bar and select options then select 'Switch to Offline mode'
                            Completely exit the window
                            Now right click again on the icon, select options and this time select 'Switch to Online Mode'
                            You should then see a small purple cog wheel icon turning where the connection icon is .
                            See if you are now connected.

TG

Comment

Thanks TG. That is essentially what I am having to do.
                              But that cannot be the solution >

Every second or third reboot (there is no precise pattern) I have to deactivate and reactivate the network card to get online again.
                              4 GB Ram
                              Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Working...
                              X