X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Install hangs at 15% - SOLVED !

Hi,

I'm installing 7.10 on an old system using a CD I made. It runs fine if very slowly from the CD so I tried installing it and hang at 15% every time. I wiped out everything on the hard drive the first time I tried installing it and I've never had hard drive problems on this box.

I used to have XP and I did an error check before started the Kubuntu install.

Can anyone tell me how I can go forward from here ? If I reboot without the CD I get the Dell hardware screen as no OS seems to be on there.

thanks,

p.s. You're right Snowhog, I confused the partitions and made a too generous 17GB for / and a measly 10GB for Home which of course, led to my running out of disk space as I started downloading things. Live & Learn

Have bought a 640GB drive to put MCE on but as it's SATA have another set of issues, but that's another thread.

So the lessons here are :
    1. Use at least 8.04 especially on an old box
    2. Partition the drive with GParted - 3 parts for me, /, swap and home formated ext3, saving as much space as possible for home.
    3. Insall Kubuntu

Raj

Re: Install hangs at 15%

Even if it is old box, why are you trying to install 7.10 on it?
    I have the most traumatic experience with 7.10 and if that wouldn't be my only option (because I formatted my disk with XP)
    I would probably give up and never try Linux again...
    7.10 was just buggy it broke while updating it hanged during installation (just that my hanged on 805 not 15%)...

Use the newest version, or even better use some other less hardware demanding distro...
    If you're good with Linux I recomend Arch I feel it's the perfect distro for a odl computer (as I tried it on a very old computer:
    It was Dell optiplex.. with 488mHz and 265MB RAM...)
    I'm magnet for errors, problems and bugs...

Comment

Check #1 on the FAQs in the link on my signature.

Comment

I'm using 7.10 because I want to put Linux MCE on this box. That's the end goal and 7.10 was recommended in the MCE Wiki. If I can do a newer ver I'd definitely do it.

dibl this is a Dell Dimension 2350 so I'm stuck with the CD/RW rather than a DVD player. I moved the installation files over the network to that box when it still had XP and made the disk on it. So it won't be an incompatibility issue thought the write could have been bad.

Per your faq I'll try burning a new CD on another box and see if I can get further.

If there's an alternative base I can use for MCE I'd be happy try that rather than go through 7.10 and it's known problems.

Thanks for the help

Comment

What are the specs of the PC you are installing to? CPU type and speed. Amount of installed RAM. Make and model of video card/graphics chip.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Ok, I downloaded a new iso and made the CD on another machine yet fail at the same place, on stage 5 at 15% checking File System.

So that sees to mean it's not the cd or the drive. Maybe it's the hard drive though I checked it for errors with WinXP before beginning installation and never ran into problems before.

hmm ...

Regarding the specs its a 2GHz Celeron with 250MB (getting another 512 MB any day in the mail) and a 30GB hard drive. Currently I just have the on-board video though I plan on getting an Asus, assuming Kubuntu can actually be installed.

Comment

Did you make a new partition (5G minimum) for Linux, and format it ext3?

If you formatted it with Win XP, it is probably NTFS which won't work.

Comment

Try 8.04 at least. It is the last of KDE 3 and I think the installer was better.
                8.10 going to KDE 4 is not advisable for older machines IMO.
                Kubuntu 18.04 on AMD

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
                  Did you make a new partition (5G minimum) for Linux, and format it ext3?

If you formatted it with Win XP, it is probably NTFS which won't work.

I did not format it and thought step 4 where I allocated the entire drive to one partition would be enough. You're right it is NTFS and that's probably why it's not recognizing the file structure.

I remember reading in this forum about a tool I can use to format the drive. If I can download it onto the box and run it while I'm running Kubuntu from the CD I should be ok.

otiklt thanks for the suggestion to go to 8.04. I'll try that this morning.

Thanks all for your help. It doesn't feel like I'm just ramming my head in to a brick wall as I it did on my last Linux install.

Comment

If there's any chance at all that you'll be repeating this adventure in the future, I advise making a GParted Live CD. Before you boot your Linux installation CD, boot the GParted Live CD and do your hard drive partitioning and formatting with it. Then you can focus on installing the OS without the complicating factor of partitioning the hard drive.

Here's your link:

http://gparted.sourceforge.net/download.php

Comment

Success !

I partitioned the drive in to a 10GB /home, 2GB swap and a 17GB /, then installed on the home partition with no problems.

Thanks everyone for you help. Now it's on to MCE.

Raj

Comment

Congrats.

"17GB /" Is that correct? Awful generous on your root partition. And, '10GB /home" Did you get these two mixed up, at least in your post? I'd think that you would have 10GB (generous) for your root partition and 17GB for your home partition.

Regardless, if you will return to your original post in this thread and click the modify button, you can add SOLVED to the subject line.
                        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
                        X