This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem logging into Kubuntu

I've been running 7.10 on our 64-bit machine for some time now. I just upgraded Turboprint from 1.96 to 2.04 yesterday and added a printer tonight. After adding the printer, first Turboprint and then the System Settings app complained that the CUPS server might not be running. So, I decided to restart the machine.

That proved to be a bad idea and now it displays the Login dialog, I enter the password, the screen goes blank and it redisplays the Login dialog. There are no error messages, it doesn't display the splash showing that KDE is trying to laod the desktop...nothing. Also, I don't see any indication that there is a problem during boot.

Any suggestions as to how I can get this beast back on it's feet?

Thanks for the help.
    Bill Lugg

Re: Problem logging into Kubuntu

One possible culprit is a full (or very nearly full) filesystem. Reboot into recovery (single user) mode. This will put you at the command line prompt 'as root.' From there, type:
    Code:
    df -hTxtmpfs
    Note the percentage of used space (Use%)on your root partition, and, if you have your home on a separate partition, that as well. If either are approaching/very near 100% then you have a space problem.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Re: Problem logging into Kubuntu

Well, I did as you suggested and found that the partitions were at 40% for / and 25% for /home, so I don't think there's a problem there.

To make things a little more interesting, I removed TurboPrint by doing

Code:
      apt-get remove turboprint
      I then restarted the machine and it logged in.

Because I like to inflict pain on myself, I reinstalled the driver again, just to make sure I hadn't done something wrong. I did the same thing again, so I went through the same process again to remove it.

Now it's off to the TurboPrint support forum to see if they can help me get this thing installed successfully.

Thanks for the help.
      Bill Lugg

Comment

Working...
      X