This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Live CD cheat codes-Help

I really need help with getting a Gutsy live cd to load on my machine. As it is I am running Feisty but really need to upgrade as Feisty is dead now. I have to do a fresh install from a live cd for various reasons, an upgrade isn't possible, my machine always conks out half way through because it is a bit old. I think the answer to my problem is simple, I need to tell the Live CD to skip trying to enable CPU Frequency Scaling Support. I know that you can use cheat codes for stuff like this, on a Sabayon live CD you just need to use 'nofreqscaling'. I am hoping such commands exist for Kubuntu live cds? I say it is the CPU problem because I nearly get into KDM when I boot the CD in safe graphics mode but it crashes right at the last minute and gives an error message saying that it cannot create the file for CPU Freq Scaling support because my machine doesn't have that technology. Surely such a small thing can be sorted out in Kubuntu?

Please help us out if you can. I have found a couple of cheat codes about 'noapic' and 'apci=off' but don't know if they will work as the Sabayon, SLAX, Knoppix, etc commands are so different?

I hope someone can help us out with this, I love my Kubuntu and don't want to have to go to another distro over a live cd not being able to boot. These are the problems that inspire Microsoft ads that go on about 'life without walls'. What I can't understand is why the Ubuntu team have made the live cds that much more incompatible with certain hardware as the Distro has evolved, my machine isn't that old and it wasn't expensive so there must be a fair few about still? I just hope that I can stay with Kubuntu?

Cheers for any help

Peace

Re: Live CD cheat codes-Help

Maybe "noacpi"?

Unless it's actually a video issue, in which case you might need one of the "vga=" codes that are in the link below.

Here's a decent reference to the cheat codes (excuse the link to another distro):

http://manual.sidux.com/en/cheatcode...eatcodes-linux

Comment

Re: Live CD cheat codes-Help

Many thanks for those codes yeah! I hope that's what I am after? The 'acpi=off' code might help for sure. On the live cd it only mentions 'noapic' and 'nolapic', neither of which help, so having all of those other codes is a result! I can't understand why the Ubuntu devs don't release a proper list of them?

Thanks again for the help yeah, I double appreciate your taking time to read my post and that!

JahGuide

Comment

Working...
      X