This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

install terminated at 96%

I got past most of the install with no issues (installing from 7.10 live CD), but after it checked for new packets and security etc and configured hardware I got an error message saying "unable to sync NTFSProgs" then I clicked "ok" assuming the install would just continue and it just quit, leaving me on the desktop for the live CD. I decided to restart to see if it would boot, and Grub bootloader loaded, tried to boot to 7.10. I got to the Kubuntu loading screen, but then it went into command prompt mode and just started spitting info at me. I am at the office so I cant tell you exactly what it said, but it would have four lines of code like:

0170:012354 dajkfal;jagjagjaljgal
    0172:012354 dajkfal;jagjagjaljgal
    some type of I/O error swap file something (sorry i dont remember exactly)
    0174:012354 dajkfal;jagjagjaljgal

it would just repeat with the first four numbers changing for about 5-10 min

any idea what went wrong with the install? I am on about a year old Dell Vostro 200 series. The only add-on I have is an aftermarket video card. I have read alot of video card problems so I might try removing it to make sure thats not the problem, but I doubt it is since I got so far along on the install.
    Let me know what you think or if you need any more info.
    Thanks,

Re: install terminated at 96%

Update-

I burned the same Downloaded image from my work PC to a new disc, this time at a much slower (12x vs 47x) speed. Jumped over to one of my extra desktops and it installed perfect, now i have proof that this new disc works I will just have to see if it works on my home PC. I will update when I get home.
    Thanks,
    Krys

Comment

okay so I tried the new disc at home... no go. I get the same screen now no matter which disc I use for which version (8.10, 7.10, installing or just running live CD) the results arent exactly the same but there is always a mention of sda I/O error.
      Specifically on the 7.10 error it is
      Buffer I/O error on device sda, logical block 0

I thought that since I had a couple of incomplete installs that the HD might just need to be blasted and repartitioned and formated. Since I couldnt even get Kubuntu's live CD to load anymore I downloaded a live CD for Gparted. It didnt seem to want to load and had some of the same error messages, but it eventually started up. I elected to create new table and create a new partition with ext format. Gparted tried to partition and format but I got an error message saying the format didnt work because the drive wasnt available. This all makes me think that my HD is bad, but I cant imagine how considering its only a year old and was successfully running vista 24hrs ago. Any suggestions?

Comment

well, for anyone following, it looks as though my HD was bad. Somehow windows was working on it but Linux didnt like it. I swapped it out with anoither exactly like it and the install went smooth as silk.
        Thanks,
        Krys

Comment

I'm glad you got it sorted out.

Vista was probably aware of the potential opposition, (Kubuntu) so it only pretended to work.

Welcome to Kubuntu land.

Comment

Working...
          X