This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kubuntu messed me up--Need Help Plz

I installed kubuntu 7.10 but due to some package problems had to uninstall it. i am a newb. so searhced the net to see how to uninstall it.I had dual boot with xp. I used the fixmbr ehich worked fine, Then when i used disk managemnt and deleted the unknown partition (which was of few hundred MBs & was suppose to be ubuntus partition ). But on doing that it deleted my 2 partions also of 20 20 GB which had very old & important data. i wana ask does disk managment of windows Xp realy deleted the partitions or is there some way i can get them back. i realy realy need help plzzzzz.

Re: kubuntu messed me up--Need Help Plz

It will take some work on your part--with no guarantees--but have a look at
    TestDisk (=> google)
    In the meantime, try not to mess with that disk (save new files, move files, etc.).
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Oh dear! That sounds bad. I am not an expert, but it seems to me that if you have access to another computer with an internet connection, you might download the so-called "live CD" for kubuntu and burn the iso-file to a CD (see how to burn isos here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BurningIsoHowto).

Then, booting from the live CD you just made, you would see what is on your hard-disk. You could "mount" whateveo partitions you have there and try to rescue data. K/Ubuntu can read windows-files.

At least this method won't hurt whatever is left of your data. And the live-cd gives you full-featured K/Ubuntu graphic interface. (NB Be careful not to "install" ubuntu, just "try K/ubuntu wihout any changes..." (or something like that.

Comment

Problem is that the partition(s) was deleted; which means it was removed from the data structure that comprises the Master Boot Record (MBR). The data is (probably) still there, but with no way to access it as a partition. TestDisk might be able to restore your MBR to include the recently deleted partitions. (From a certain point of view, a "partition" can be thought of as a pointer in the MBR data structure that points at a location on the disk where that partition starts (and the size of it is also embedded as a parameter in the MBR data structure, I think, or some-such equivalent data structure method)). Your regular Live CD will only see current, established partitions, not partitions that have been "deleted" from the MBR.
        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Working...
        X